Can I write on an egg with permanent marker?

Quote:
Dude? LOL. Silly Rabbit....
bun.gif
I'm a grandmother.

You're right, I did get in more of a twist than was called for. It's not the "writing on eggs", I actually don't care what they use. It's the idea that accurate info is completely irrelevant, facts are no more valid than fiction, everything is merely an opinion.

I'd like to see pics of your painted eggs, I hope you'll start a thread and post them. How's your hatch rate?

Quote:
Did somebody stop you from stating your opinion? That's weird, I see it right there, I read it. Who said you can't state your opinion?

You said that you saw that the marker didn't hurt anything, that it was your best hatch ever with shipped eggs. All healthy. You said, that you still won't use a marker on your eggs, even though you saw for yourself that it was fine. So you know it's nonsense. Yet you cling to it. You said so.

Poulets, you said you didn't have scientific proof. Well, I do. And you know how you can find out for yourself, if you want to. If you choose to ignore that, and not see for yourself, and be afraid of something harmless, that is certainly your choice. Your pencils won't hurt anything, either.

Sorry if you feel that by stating what I know to be true, I'm somehow infringing on your rights.

Dude dancing bear, they are talking about writing on EGGS, not some major boiling point discussion about life, death etc. You might have a drink of wine or something? You seem all bent out of shape over something foolish... I don't have any scientific proof however... LOL

And as per the heated discussion here, I paint each egg with oil based paints in an abstract illustration of what I think best represent the day the egg was put under the broody, the breed the chick will be and what I feel their personality will likely be. JK LOL

LOL!!!! Thanks! Hey, I'd love to see pics of those masterpiece eggs when you get a chance!!! Who knows...they could go for good money on ebay or eggbid!!!
gig.gif

wow
ep.gif
It's amazing how a simple question can inspire such tension. They're eggs, folks...your eggs, so do what you will and respect the opinions/ideas of others as thoughts to consider; whether you agree or adopt them is your own choice.
And know this....the hens WILL lay more.

just for the record:

i just got off the phone with the good folks at sharpie (jan in customer service--1-800-346-3278) who told me that their fine point and ultra fine point markers are alchohol based and considered non toxic.

of course, they also told me that there had NOT been any toxicity trials with poultry embryos.

right back to square one...........if it works for you, use a sharpie. it not, use something else.

For the question about the food coloring. I remember as a kid coloring eggs that the egg also had a tint of the color the shell was done in. How ever I have no proof because I ate the evidence. I don't think you would call it science ether, I just called it dinner.

kingmt,
we still have some easter eggs in the fridge, all of them that where cracked open where the color of the dye on the outside. Some where a lighter shade but where all colored.

I think when the eggs have been boiled, the shells are more porous. And they may have a lot of micro cracks. I remember when I was a kid, the dye was also hot. and had vinegar in it, which will dissolve shells, if left long enough. I use vinegar to dissolve mineral deposits from our hard water.

For me it is better than not marking them.... right now I have about 30 eggs sitting in the bator that I have no clue as to when they will hatch. I just started marking my eggs a week ago.... so if eggs are there that were supposed to hatch, but are no good, I will have no idea untill the ones that are marked hatch out in the next 2 weeks.... so I mark each egg with a marker...

Back
Top Bottom