Can it be OK to have just one chicken as a pet?

It "can" be OK. What come to my mind though is...You must have never eaten a Lays Potato chip...
smile.png

Few years we had no chickens and one day a Buff Orpington showed up and adopted our family. She bonded with one of my wifes Mares. Every time my wife took the Mare to a show the hen threw a fit. She was such fun to have around and gave us an egg almost daily. After about a year she was gone, missed her so much I bought a half dozen more.

Last year when I was at the feed store a lady came in and bought the smallest bag of feed. I assumed it was for a pet bird and asked her what it was for. She said it was for her pet chicken.

She said that it slept in a box with her dog at night upstairs and that it laid an egg there every day.... and that she had it trained to poop in a corner of the kitchen. She said their little dog and the chicken were best friends.

Most animals will adjust to unusual circumstances, but it just isn't the best thing for a chicken. They need a friend, even if it's a horse or a dog. And they like to cuddle.

pets are pets its abit unusual but yeah im ok with people keeping chickens as pets your doing no different from what a farmer does.

as long as you have a garden and good food why not??

i think it would be best if you had 2 or more chickens no 1 likes been on their own do they??

Thank you so much for your reply....I just don't want her being lonely, I can't be out there 24/7 with her and I'm debating whether to stay with me or if having a new hen family would be better

that is so cool... I'm in the depression state, have been for a bit due to illness , my girlie girls, as I called them helped me forget, what I'm facing.......I will keep her if she dies with a broken heart, then she can be buried with her sisters. It was my first time keeping chickens and didn't expect them to steal my heart

Back
Top Bottom