Can Peafowl live with chickens?

Kessel23

Hi Bug
6 Years
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, I have always heard that peafowl can not stay by your chicken because they pass diseases to each other. I have 8 peachicks coming this June and I have a large chicken coop with chickens and ducks but I also have another large chicken coop with nothing in it. I was planning to reinforce the other coop, insulate it, and add a large run to it for the peafowl but then on here I am seeing so many pictures and messages that mention or show peafowl with chickens, so can you keep peafowl with chickens? If you can then I will just put them in a separate section of my main coop, it has 3 separate sections inside and a extremely large run that also is sectioned off, one section of the run for each section of the coop. I only use 2 sections, one is a rabbit hutch, and the other two I keep open and available to all the chickens & ducks.

Yes you can keep peafowl with chickens but it’s not a great idea. I have seen some peafowl live 10+ years with chickens but I have also read articles where peafowl have died to there proximity to chickens. The main disease associated with gamebirds being raised with chickens is blackhead so if your property and birds are cleared of blackhead you should be Cohen but the only way to tell if your birds have blackhead is to have gamebirds. Long story short if you can help it don’t house them together.

DSCN1091.JPG

My peafowl do just fine living in the same building with my guineas and chickens. They all free range thru the day. Peafowl need a lot of space tho so small coops and runs won't do.
I know it's not recommended but I got into peafowl by accident and I only had one building large enough for all of them. My peas are now 2 years old and no problems so far.

Attachments

• DSCN1004.JPG
    DSCN1004.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 5
@birdmanmax what do you mean by game birds? Like game fowl? Pheasants? If I were to get some game birds how would they show me that I am clear of black head? I'm asking this now because I want to let my peafowl free range but they will then have access to my chickens through the wire.

Back
Top Bottom