Can pot bellied pig live with chickens>

I can't vouch for your pig, but my potbellied pig, Hammy has lived with my 3 goats, 17 chickens and 10 ducks for several years without incident. He weighs well over 110 pounds and will eat almost anything if it's dead! He loves eggs and delicately spits out the shell when he is done with them but he has to wait for me to get them out of the nest box, he's too short to help himself. He also occasionally enjoys chicken poop and doesn't mind if the chicken jump on his back to get any stray scratch that's landed there. I would just watch them together for a while to be sure.

I wouldn't do it. The pig is a potbellied people. But he would still kill the chickens and the chicken poop would irritate the skin on his back.

I would keep it in a seperate pen for the sake of your chickens and the sake of your eggs! I've heard eggs are a real treat for them, the whole thing with pigs eating live meat is very surprising for me! Then again, I have never owned pigs before. I guess that just goes to show even the domestic pigs still act boarish. I'm sure keeping it in with the chickens would only cause problems, around the yard with the chickens foraging is one thing, but penned up with them is another. I can see you going through chicken feed like crazy, missing all of your freshy laid eggs, and apparently a few of your birds.

Build him his own piggy condo and put all the worries to rest.

-Kim

Sandy
We have 2 pet pot bellied pig girls and they are in the same large pen as our chickens, all are happy and get along. Our pigs have never bothered the chickens, eaten any eggs.. everyone gets along just fine.. I think you will be okay..
big_smile.png

there is a big difference between wild / farm pigs and pet pot bellied pigs. also the risk should be assessed by other things like-whether or not the pig is intact or spayed/neutered. whether or not the pig was raised around chickens.
our domestic VPBP Percy , has been with chickens since he was 8 weeks old- they had spooked him a couple of times when he was a piglet.He learned that they can be scary feathered creatures who peck at glistening piggy noses and flap all around if bullied
lol.png

now as an adult pig he loves them , he will charge any intruders and protects the chickens at any cost
clap.gif

we had an unfortunate encounter with one of our ducks who got killed by the electric fence
sad.png
and he stayed on the other end of the yard freaking out.wouldnt go near the body let alone want to eat it.

he lets them steal food and hangout in his house.
but yes farm pigs and certainly wild pigs are more than capable of snagging a live dinner...

I kept two pot bellied pigs in with my chickens, never had a problem other than them escaping their run. They do like eggs, but if your nestboxes are higher than them they shouldn't be able to get to them. We would give them an occasional egg as a treat. We put a lip on the bottom of our coop door high enough than the pigs couldn't step over to keep them out of the coop. My piggies also weren't aggressive towards the chickies at all, but they were raised up with them as piglets. My chickens would sleep in their pen, eat with them and seemed to feel safer with the pigs around. Good luck with your decision. I think if you have a well behaved pig, they would probably be ok. Just keep an eye on them when you make intros
smile.png

I just wanted to say that I think it really depends on your pig. For anyone who wants to try it, I'd definitely do some careful monitoring and daily head counts of your flock. I have a potbelly pig, and he grew up with a goose and chickens, including an undersized hen with a severe limp who likes to follow/sleep with him. He free-ranges right along with the chickens, and they absolutely love him. They like to follow him around when he's rooting, and pick out bugs. He's never tried to eat them, but I have seen him bite the goose and shove the hens when they go after his food (for some reason, he NEVER even snaps at the hens, only the goose).

I was also holding the goose behind the head one day, because she's evil and bites everyone, when the pig came up to me, and I saw him think about eating the goose (sort of approached the goose's neck all open-mouthed), and then rethink his decision before actually chomping down. I swear, I could see him calculating the cost/benefit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom