can rabbits inbreed???

thechickenman

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
i getting two rabbits on sunday possibly.

i am wondering if it is ok to breed them and then let the babies loose out on my property?
would that be ok?

i am also wondering would it be possible to breed a nice looking girl from that litter to the father?
or will the babies look weird? (from inbreeding)

i would like to know what the best breed of rabbit would be to be out on my property?
which one has a better chance of surviving the elements?
i will provide them with shelter so they can get in out of the elements if need be.

is the hay you feed horses good bedding for rabbits or will they eat that and get fat?
or should i just take the hay out and let them be on wire.
i was just trying to help them out because i thought that the wire would hurt there feet?

thanks.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

~thechickenman~

Last edited:
Don't put the nest box in yet or she'll use it as a litter box. You can line breed as long as you know what you're doing. Mom to son, daughter to father. No siblings.

I'd get a copy of the "Standard of Perfection" and study that breed. If the bunnies do not conform to the standard (depending on WHY you are breeding), I wouldn't breed until they do (meaning you get new stock). You don't want to just breed a bunch of bunnies unless you know what may become of them (unless culling is not a problem...which it is for me). Are you planning to sell to 4-H? Show? Eat? etc.....(don't mean to sound preachy...my daughter tried breeding and we ended up with bunnies nobody wanted for as long as they lived (and we don't eat them!))

It just depends on why you are breeding? If you want meat, then linebreeding or inbreeding is fine. If you want to show, then you would be more picky about your breeding pairs.

I keep mine in a colony. They "breed like rabbits". And they are the straw (floor) from the time they leave the nests at three or four weeks of age. I have raised litters in both cages and colonies. They grow faster in a colony (free range) rather than a cage. A six week old bunny in a colony is much larger than one kept in a cage with his Mom. I would never discourage keeping bunnies in a free-range environment over a cage because I have raised them both ways. There is no comparison. The colony is much better for them, but more work for you due to cleaning duties. The bunnies usually venture out of their nests at three or four weeks to follow Mom around the building. They grow quickly from that time.

im breeding i think just so they can run around the yard but im going to keep a couple cages up so if some get taken by a hawk i still have a couple left and also so they know to stay around my house/farm.

Last edited:
What I fear I am reading is that you plan to get a couple of rabbits and set them loose? Please tell me if I am wrong.

I do not think you should buy pet rabbits and expect them to survive like wild rabbits. Mekasmom keeps hers in a colony. This might be an option for you.

Years ago when our kids were small there was a stockade fence around our back yard because there was a pool. I had both rabbits and geese that stayed in the fenced area. We had to put chicken wire around the bottom of the fence to keep the rabbits from digging out. It did work to contain both geese and rabbits, but predators are a problem. Owls will kill geese by pulling off their heads. Hawks, owls, and feral cats will kill the rabbits. It wasn't an "everyday" problem, but we would loose two or three a year to predators. It helps to keep a lot of small wooden hutches around the yard for them to hide in as they wish, just like you would in any colony. Even with that, you will still have a few losses.

This is my mom's profile, I was just looking around.

I breed rabbits as a hobby, so maybe I can help a little.

Unless you somehow aquire wild rabbits, releasing them without any containment is not good. The rabbits you get from breeders are domesticated and like ducks, can't fend for themselves well.

When you pick a breed of rabbit, there are three factors: the purpose(what you are going to use them for), the size(how big compared to the handler), and color/looks preference.

Hay is wonderful to give to rabbits, and they probably do better with it than without. In fact, it is better to give your rabbits horse quality hay, because it will have less dust and mold, which is bad for rabbits, than any other. If you are going to give your rabbits alfalfa, do it sparingly. It has empty carbs that will make your rabbits fat and unhealthy.

As for the wire, all the breeders I know and myself use wire cages. Occasionally you will get a rabbit with sore hocks(feet rubbed raw) but that can be fixed with a little neosporine and a little flat piece of wood to sit on.

Hopefully that answers your questions.
smile.png

ok nvmnd then. i will breed them and sell them. it sounds like there will be to many problems. i will breed them and sell them to make a profit.

Back
Top Bottom