CAN SHE SURVIVE THIS INFECTION???

Quote:

she has spent the past to days outside with the 2 others ,her eating has picked up ,no duck food however.swelling is going down ,she is walking and her pooor legs are so weak. today she went in the pond and bathed and later went looking for crawlers.we were so excited.my concern now is , she is an everyday egg layer and no eggs for 4 days.is that because she is sick ? will that cause her to get egg bound?she is a strong girl andi pray she recovers.thank you .

Last edited:
tonirene,

hugs.gif

praying for you both, I feel you have gotten good advice here. We have not had this particular problem so far, and it is frightening.

Keep her on the amoxicillin for the time the vet recommends, and be aware that infections can be very sneaky with ducks. Watch closely to see any signs she may need more help. I am thinking if she's listless, if her appetite drops, that kind of thing.

Keeping her immune system built up is half the battle. Sounds like you are doing the best anyone can in this situation.

Just wanted to add and reiterate what HollyDuckFarmer mentioned above. A warm bath can be very helpful for ailing waterfowl. It keeps their body temperature up (not a hot bath, just lukewarm), increases blood circulation, helps them relax - very important for your girl right now - gives you an opportunity to watch and notice details about breathing, movement, odor, slight bleeding, etc. And they like water, ya know
wink.png
thank you

Quote:

I'm sorry you're going through this crisis. Go ahead and give her the amoxicillin as recommended. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of infections in ducks will chime in soon. But for now, go with what the vet said. It's the best bet for your duck at this point.
thank you

She will pass the shell naturally as the pieces aren't too big - glad shes eating treats - make sure she is drinking lots too - good luck and keep us posted.
she has spent the past to days outside with the 2 others ,her eating has picked up ,no duck food however.swelling is going down ,she is walking and her pooor legs are so weak. today she went in the pond and bathed and later went looking for crawlers.we were so excited.my concern now is , she is an everyday egg layer and no eggs for 4 days.is that because she is sick ? will that cause her to get egg bound?she is a strong girl andi pray she recovers.thank you .

Trauma can stop egg laying, and that's good. Ducks only have so much energy, only so many nutrients and minerals. They sometimes need it to heal, to stay warm, to recover. Give her as much high quality food in whatever form she will take, try to help her avoid any stresses such as cold or heat or having to run, let her rest, and keep an eye on her. Sounds good so far.

Is she still getting the antibiotic? I think some of those affect egg laying, too. Oh, speaking of which, some probiotics would be good for her.

Last edited:
Trauma can stop egg laying, and that's good. Ducks only have so much energy, only so many nutrients and minerals. They sometimes need it to heal, to stay warm, to recover. Give her as much high quality food in whatever form she will take, try to help her avoid any stresses such as cold or heat or having to run, let her rest, and keep an eye on her. Sounds good so far.

Is she still getting the antibiotic? I think some of those affect egg laying, too. Oh, speaking of which, some probiotics would be good for her.
still on antibiotics, however she has stopped eating now and her droppings look like egg whites and seems like she wants to get something out. i don't know what exactly to be looking for. i felt her and i don't think there is any eggs there but she is really swollen and won't let me get to close before getting really mean.

still on antibiotics, however she has stopped eating now and her droppings look like egg whites and seems like she wants to get something out. i don't know what exactly to be looking for. i felt her and i don't think there is any eggs there but she is really swollen and won't let me get to close before getting really mean.
Can you get her in a tub of warm water and just let her float, it may relax her enough to help get something out.
fl.gif

Yes I agree a warm bath.

If you can get to examine her too, I am worried that maybe a bit of shell may be difficult to pass or she may have cut herself hence the swelling. If there is a piece of shell she can't pass as it is too big you won't necessarily feel it - I had to actually put my fingers into my girls vent (wearing surgical gloves with lubricant) and actually pull some shell out.

I read on here about epsom salts - will this help reduce the swelling? Hopefully Miss Lydia and Amiga will know more.

I understand she will be getting 'mean' - she doesn't know what's going on and is clearly hurting as she is swollen. I have always been advised to use a light weight towel to cover their head gently - when it is dark they are much calmer. If possible, have somebody help you so they can hold her firmly and help keep her calm whilst just lifting her back so you can try and get down to have a look.

Sorry if this just seems obvious but I didn't know what to do last year, and any help/thoughts might help.

fl.gif

i found a duck vet,"thank you lord".my pretty girl is getting ready for surgery. i hope it isn't too late,she has been fighting and struggling to hang in there bless her heart.many people have no idea how much love these beautiful animals have to give..the love my husband and i have for her is undiscribable.thank you everyone for your help and concern,it's comforting to know that we aren't alone and that there is so many people out there that know exactly what we are going thru.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom