Can someone advise me on catching young duck living weeks near sidewalk. She needs to rehab for socializing.

Gigipro

Hatching
Sep 8, 2023
A young, female duck has been living near sidewalk and curb puddles about a month. This area is about 8 miles from fresh ponds. Not sure how she came here, but I have been feeding and providing companionship. She will not allow me to touch but comes when I call, follows and being young, seems to look for guidance. She has grown a lot and is beginning to spread her wings and flap. I have provided a kiddie pool, but wrong kind. She dunks her head and drinks but the edge wont allow her to grip without slipping so she doesn't get in.
Many insects driving her stark raving nuts so she is always picking them out of her feathers. Maybe a swim would do her good.

I can be glad she is nearly flying but how will she know where to go? And if she does show up at a fresh-water pond unsocialized, she may be in danger.
She is very sweet.
A duck refuge will take her for rehab and socializing, and i think this is the best thing but my problem is catching her. Even for the greater good, to throw something over her seems like an assault. Any suggestions on a cage or other thing i might lead her into with food? I am not able to spend much for this, and unfortunately, a bit short on hardware. Also, will offering a box with a mixture of elemental sulphur and sand help her with parasites?
I especially need tips for catching but also for easing parasite torment.
Also, if I cannot catch her, will she find a body of water on her own? Can she be with other ducks without being harmed since she is not socialized? Thanks.
P.S. I cannot get assistance from wildlife managers as she is not a native duck and MUST only be released to a sanctuary and not on public lands. Not her fault.

Last edited:
So is she a domestic duck? if so she may never fly. I know you don't want to do this but using a large fishing net might be your only choice. Or if you have a dog crate you can set up the feed and water towards the back of the crate and hopefully, she'll walk in then you can close the door. It may take a few days to get her use to her food inside of a crate though. She won't dust bathe like a chicken to get the parasites off of her but some really good baths should. Once you catch her get her to a pool of water so she can bathe then what left you can treat with Ivermectin or a poultry dust.

So is she a domestic duck? if so she may never fly. I know you don't want to do this but using a large fishing net might be your only choice. Or if you have a dog crate you can set up the feed and water towards the back of the crate and hopefully, she'll walk in then you can close the door. It may take a few days to get her use to her food inside of a crate though. She won't dust bathe like a chicken to get the parasites off of her but some really good baths should. Once you catch her get her to a pool of water so she can bathe then what left you can treat with Ivermectin or a poultry dust.
Thank you. Today, I've been thinking I can easily corral her with chicken wire or even garden surround as she eats. She wont even mind that, but I need to figure out how to slip something under the corral to pick her up then. I am cowardly about the betrayal, but I cannot help her otherwise and clearly must. I am asking around about loan of a dog crate which would really be my favorite method as it is wire and I think she would step into it and not be too fussed up by the experience. Thanks again so much for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom