Can someone help me and tell me what breed he is?

aplumlee03

Hatching
Sep 25, 2016

We have been to two shows with Little Bit aka cluck Norris. The same judge has counted him off and said he is not an olde english bantam. First show all he said was he is a game fowl. Second show he is an olde english mix. I was told when we got him that his daddy won a show in Huston out of 600 birds. It doesn't matter either way because he is so special and we love him. But just curious. We were told he is an brown red olde English bantam. What do you all think?

He does appear to be a Brown Red OEGB, but being pure doesn't mean he's show quality. I don't work with OEGBs a lot so I haven't really studied their standard, but it's possible he has some kind of DQ for the breed. Even championship quality parents will still throw pet quality and DQ offspring sometimes. Also, if he's over a year of age, he would need to be dubbed (have his comb and wattles removed) to make him eligible for show.

That's definitely not a Brown Red. I am very familiar with the SOP and I would say that is a poorly colored BBR OEGB. He also could have been marked down because he isn't dubbed.

That's definitely not a Brown Red. I am very familiar with the SOP and I would say that is a poorly colored BBR OEGB. He also could have been marked down because he isn't dubbed. 

I'll defer to you since like I said, I don't work a lot with OEGBs. Out of curiosity, what are the differences you're seeing in this bird vs. a real Brown Red? Reading the '88 Bantam SOP I acquired recently is on my to-do list but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

He does appear to be a Brown Red OEGB, but being pure doesn't mean he's show quality. I don't work with OEGBs a lot so I haven't really studied their standard, but it's possible he has some kind of DQ for the breed. Even championship quality parents will still throw pet quality and DQ offspring sometimes. Also, if he's over a year of age, he would need to be dubbed (have his comb and wattles removed) to make him eligible for show.
Thank you for your advice. I just hope everyone knows that I am not trying to second guess the judge at all. I am just curious on what he could be. It doesn't matter either way. He is and will remain our favorite. He will always have a forever loving home on our farm. We have raised show pigs, cattle and goats for years now. I understand just because his parents were show birds that it doesn't mean that he would be. I am just asking on the thoughts of what breed he is. I made sure before we went to any of the shows that he didn't have to be dubbed. None of the shows required him to be and if they did we would not take him. I can dis-bud a goat, cut pigs and manage any wound care as need but I don't think I could be the person that dubbed him. So he will forever have his waddles and comb.
tongue.png
Thank you for your advice and if you have any other idea on what he could be please share it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom