Can someone help with my German shepherd?

Thank y'all! He doesn't pull on the leash or anything. I have to carry a lot of his stuff when we go on long walks so I wanted to get him a harness with backpacks on it so he can carry his own junk like his water, his water bowl, his poop bags, And his treats. It doesn't seem like much but when you're trying to enjoy a nice walk it's hard to keep up with all the stuff.
Mmmm, not much of a "beast of burden" person with my dog.
Your Shepard will probably take on instincts likely to Shepards. Mine clears a perimeter around my wife and I even at this late stage in her life, she still patrols the property every day. I couldn't imagine her carrying out her duties with a litre of water, a harness, treats, etc. tied to her back.
I know it's your dog but I would and have adapted for trips like this.
Might I suggest buying a tool belt for yourself? You can carry treats, water, poop bags, and treats as well as finding a small plastic bowl you can punch a hole through anf clip it to the belt...you can even carry a snicker bar for yourself...lol
Shepards are prone to hip issues later, stressing the joints now I feel will create a problem later. Mine was ripped with muscles from daily long walks and plenty of gentle play. The old girl still has hip issues.

a backpack and weight is a good way to exercise a GSD. It's simply another job for them to do.

Hip dysplasia is a terrible ailment...and large dogs are quite prone to it. An off-balanced load may cause issues not to mention the awkward gait from carrying a pack. I would suggest a small backpack for yourself for the pup's essentials.

Hip dysplasia is a terrible ailment...and large dogs are quite prone to it. An off-balanced load An off-balanced load may cause issues not to mention the awkward gait from carrying a pack. I would suggest a small backpack for yourself for the pup's essentials.

As a German Shepherd breeder, I can tell you that this is only partially true. HD is largely genetic so finding a breeder who x-rays and tests their stock is a must. Secondly, the best way to ease hip issues is building muscle and weight training is a great way to do that.
Exercise induced hip problems (and other joints) is very real. But you also have to look at all of the other exercise that can cause it - running on asphalt, allowed to jump to catch balls/frisbees, encouraging to run and play for long periods of time when young, etc etc.
It's a matter of common sense. You start with very light weight, such as a regular sized water bottle on each side. Always keep the load even on both sides. Build up slowly in both weight and distance.

Back
Top Bottom