can we still eat him??

Natalijaasbj

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Hi!
I had a very wired young Delaware rooster 5 months old. I was actually going butcher him in a couple days as I always wait to cull unwanted roos when they are 5 months old.
We had a heat wave for a couple days. He preferred to sit in a garage that is pretty hot(90 F). I made sure he had water and food. He is scared of EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY so he always sits in the garage although I try to get him out. I do not know what happened but today he could barely walk( I did get him to the outside for a bit and when I tried to put him back he could barely walk)
So I put him on the porch get him plenty of water - he would not drink and sit with his moth open.
I do not know if the heat stroke hit him or Marek(we have a history of it) but I was going to butcher him and while I was heating water, I heard he was throwing his body and yelling, when I got out he was already like dead. I butchered him immediately, nut now I am thinking , may be I was too late and now I can not eat him? He died probably 20-30 seconds before I let the blood out.
Is it possible to still eat it??? I do not want to waste him. I am not scared of Marek as it will not influence anything.
Please, any advise whether I still can eat it?

Yes it looked fine. I also noticed that the blood was slowly dripping out of him. And I saw the plasma all got out too. It just happened so instantly the days before butchering. He was eating fine lately, but the last day he was breathing with his mouth open, I thought it was because it ie hot and he was sitting in the garage as he usually does.

He was a very difficult bird. He and his sistet were the only chiks of our first time broody. Flock never accepted them, when broody abandoned the nest. His sister died early she was weak from the beginning. He was pecked at and prefered to be in the garage. I had to pusn him out, and he was hard to catch.
I just hope it is still fine yo eat him, because he died a minute before I butchered him. I endured do much trouble with him and he died before I got to him. do sad. My son. Loved him though.

Back
Top Bottom