Can we talk about rooster raising?

Now that you say it, I feel kinda naive. I think I was in shock that he had not sacrificed himself to save the damsel in distress 😜

But mostly I just wonder what the heck happened. How did he end up in the front yard?? How did he even get over the 6' privacy fence? Why did he not run to the coop? To my defense I was still kinda loopy from the anesthesia that morning and it was our first ever predator attack so not a great combination to say the least. Hahaha

But you are correct, I want a rooster for an early alarm for the girls and a pretty bird for me. Not much more I can ask of him. At least he's got the second one down. Still lots of time to work on the first. He is only 18.5 weeks.

BTW, when is a rooster fully feathered out? Like, all the tail, saddle and hackle feathers.
I think it can depend on the breed as to how fast they feather in fully. Our light breed boys have been fully feathered by 5 months old, but a larger breed may take longer.

Hello, we have a 12 week cockerel. So far he is super calm. I decided to keep him because he was so calm compared to the other cockerels hatched with him. Today, I picked him up and held him. I then put him down in front of me and held him until he calmly laid down and relaxed, which took about 3 minutes to get him to do this. We had a great petting session and a good talk. Lasted about 5 minutes and he got up and carried on. This evening when we were out checking everything for bedtime I picked up a hen. She is the calmest one who likes to sit in our lap, especially in this cold. He was definitely interested in this. When she got up I decided to get him. He was calm and settled in quite quickly enjoying the pets and warmth. I have a couple hens who are opportunistic and will sometimes try to get a peck in on the one in my lap so I just gently used my arm to push them back. I did not want to upset the rooster. It didn't and she eventually gave up. Overall, I feel like it was a good day with him.
After so much research and deciphering all the information out there on how to raise a gentle and calm rooster I've decided to try this approach. Teaching him I am not a threat but actually a source to comfort. When he starts to woo his girls I'll give him the treats to offer to the girls. I'll work with the hens who are super calm and show him they like our company.
My goal is to have a friendly rooster. Unfortunately, he won't be staying if he is not. Of the 7 cockerels we hatched only 2 of the other 6 will even inch close enough to eat from my hand but much prefer for me to drop it. The other 4 I have not even gotten close to. This is why I chose him, he has always been calm and easy going.
Also, the 10 month old pullets are keeping him and his two hatch mate pullets in their place.
Does this sound like a solid plan or a disaster waiting to happen? There is no consensus on how to raise a nice rooster and his adult personality is a crap shoot, I get that. But has anyone here attempted raising a rooster like I am planning to? Good and/or bad experiences are certainly welcome ☺️ Thank you!
I wasn't sure how to handle roosters, if it's best to leave them or I handle them so this is an interesting thread to read..
I have a 2 year old Silkie rooster I got at 5 months old, he is a bit skittish but will eat from my hand (although this did take at least 6 months till he did it the first time) I attempted to pick him up once but he threw himself about so I put him down and he ran away alarming... So I just left him be and haven't tried picking him up since. I didn't want to think I am a rooster wanting to attack or anything. He doesn't run away from me, just walks past unless I have treats he will come running up to see what I have on offer for his ladies. So I guess the no handling thing worked, he's friendly enough and doesn't attack kids or anyone.
.. Now I have a 11 month cockerel who I don't handle, always comes up for treats and eats from my hand but is a bit crazy running after the pullets overmating so I had to seperate him... Also 2 x 14 week old cockerels, 1 of them is super friendly running up to me whenever he sees me coming, eats from my hand and likes pats but I don't pick him up and cuddle him, the other is more timid but will eat for my hand and hang around me.
Silkies are more known for being docile but any breed can have friendly or not friendly roosters I guess. Only some of my Silkies are affectionate, others don't want to be handled at all and will peck me when I pick them up even the hens/pullets.
I do 'peck' (use my fingers gently) any chicken on the head/ neck if they peck me and if they do it again I again peck them back and they don't do it a 3rd time so far.

I wasn't sure how to handle roosters, if it's best to leave them or I handle them so this is an interesting thread to read..
I have a 2 year old Silkie rooster I got at 5 months old, he is a bit skittish but will eat from my hand (although this did take at least 6 months till he did it the first time) I attempted to pick him up once but he threw himself about so I put him down and he ran away alarming... So I just left him be and haven't tried picking him up since. I didn't want to think I am a rooster wanting to attack or anything. He doesn't run away from me, just walks past unless I have treats he will come running up to see what I have on offer for his ladies. So I guess the no handling thing worked, he's friendly enough and doesn't attack kids or anyone.
.. Now I have a 11 month cockerel who I don't handle, always comes up for treats and eats from my hand but is a bit crazy running after the pullets overmating so I had to seperate him... Also 2 x 14 week old cockerels, 1 of them is super friendly running up to me whenever he sees me coming, eats from my hand and likes pats but I don't pick him up and cuddle him, the other is more timid but will eat for my hand and hang around me.
Silkies are more known for being docile but any breed can have friendly or not friendly roosters I guess. Only some of my Silkies are affectionate, others don't want to be handled at all and will peck me when I pick them up even the hens/pullets.
I do 'peck' (use my fingers gently) any chicken on the head/ neck if they peck me and if they do it again I again peck them back and they don't do it a 3rd time so far.
Sounds to me like you are doing just fine with your guys!

Oscar is still on probation here. Lol

So it's with a super heavy heart that I've decided to re-home Oscar. Through absolutely no fault of his own because I still whole heartedly believe he will make an incredible flock master. I've had some medical stuff come up the last few weeks that I found out this past Friday will not be going away anytime soon. I unfortunately came to the conclusion that I need to reduce some of my nonessential stress. Though I may still back out because I am really attached to him at this point.

But!!! I have a great home for him!! He will have 20 hens of all ages and 2 bantam roosters. I can visit him anytime I want. This is someone I know well and will keep him as long as he lives. She is an avid animal lover (we worked together at a vet clinic and she is now retired). Though she does live in the country and allows them to free range during the day so he will have to have a sharp eye for sure. But he can live his life a happy master of his own flock. If he did not have such a great home waiting he would be staying. I just couldn't bring myself to euthanize a great rooster because of my own health issues.

I am so grateful for the experience and all the input from everyone here!! I had that inkling he was a keeper and I am so glad I decided to give him a chance. I will miss him so damn much it's ridiculous. But I have the confidence to someday, down the road when life calms back down, pick another amazing rooster to be the master of my flock!

I'm sure the next few days will be spent watching him and crying, which is absolutely ridiculously weird, I know. 😂

I haven’t been back to this thread, I often don’t get notifications. Ugh.
I’m sorry you’re dealing with health issues of your own! Those are the worst. :(
there’s nothing wrong with rehoming him or with keeping him. You know what you’ll be able to do and you’re doing the responsible thing. You’ve done a lovely job with him; I also saw nothing remotely aggressive in the videos. He was attentive and alert but no more so than he would be while just out and about. I’m sure once he gets past the awkward “randy” stage he’ll make a fine rooster, if he continues the way he’s going. You never really can predict what they’re going to be like when fully matured. :) it’s great that watching him and the interactions with the flock has given you some insight into their body language. I find it fascinating to watch different species and the way they interact, with each other and with the other species around them. :)

So it's with a super heavy heart that I've decided to re-home Oscar. Through absolutely no fault of his own because I still whole heartedly believe he will make an incredible flock master. I've had some medical stuff come up the last few weeks that I found out this past Friday will not be going away anytime soon. I unfortunately came to the conclusion that I need to reduce some of my nonessential stress. Though I may still back out because I am really attached to him at this point.

But!!! I have a great home for him!! He will have 20 hens of all ages and 2 bantam roosters. I can visit him anytime I want. This is someone I know well and will keep him as long as he lives. She is an avid animal lover (we worked together at a vet clinic and she is now retired). Though she does live in the country and allows them to free range during the day so he will have to have a sharp eye for sure. But he can live his life a happy master of his own flock. If he did not have such a great home waiting he would be staying. I just couldn't bring myself to euthanize a great rooster because of my own health issues.

I am so grateful for the experience and all the input from everyone here!! I had that inkling he was a keeper and I am so glad I decided to give him a chance. I will miss him so damn much it's ridiculous. But I have the confidence to someday, down the road when life calms back down, pick another amazing rooster to be the master of my flock!

I'm sure the next few days will be spent watching him and crying, which is absolutely ridiculously weird, I know. 😂
I'm always glad to find rooster threads with positive results - thanks for sharing your journey with Oscar! Sounds like you have found him a great relocation package with a good future ahead. I really like how you put it about eliminating non-essential stress, which seems very wise. I recently had to do a lot of that myself, but those tough decisions made it easier to move forward with what's in front of me right now. Hoping for all of the best for you as you move forward, too! :)

No, not weird at all. Thank you for caring so much about him. Hugs for you and for him. :hugs:hugs
Thank you. He will be missed dearly.

I haven’t been back to this thread, I often don’t get notifications. Ugh.
I’m sorry you’re dealing with health issues of your own! Those are the worst. :(
there’s nothing wrong with rehoming him or with keeping him. You know what you’ll be able to do and you’re doing the responsible thing. You’ve done a lovely job with him; I also saw nothing remotely aggressive in the videos. He was attentive and alert but no more so than he would be while just out and about. I’m sure once he gets past the awkward “randy” stage he’ll make a fine rooster, if he continues the way he’s going. You never really can predict what they’re going to be like when fully matured. :) it’s great that watching him and the interactions with the flock has given you some insight into their body language. I find it fascinating to watch different species and the way they interact, with each other and with the other species around them. :)
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him interact with the girls!! Oscar is going to make a fine rooster for sure. He is gentle as can be while mating considering how awkward he is. He dances (before and after!) for the ones that have already accepted him and walks away if they don't accept. He will run up to me to get treats to offer to his ladies. And most of all, when I pick him up off the roost at bedtime to put him and his girl inside the coop he will nestle right in to my neck and enjoy the warm squeeze and pets. This has been a really good distraction the last few weeks to be honest. I would just gaze out the window and laugh at his antics and the girls keeping him in line. I so enjoy watching animal behaviors and learning how they tick. And watching him find himself and his place in the flock has been a hoot! This thread has been so fun and informative for me!

I'm always glad to find rooster threads with positive results - thanks for sharing your journey with Oscar! Sounds like you have found him a great relocation package with a good future ahead. I really like how you put it about eliminating non-essential stress, which seems very wise. I recently had to do a lot of that myself, but those tough decisions made it easier to move forward with what's in front of me right now. Hoping for all of the best for you as you move forward, too! :)
This has been a great experience for us and hopefully someone else can learn and feel confident raising a rooster. So much experience and wisdom in this thread!
And yes, non essential stress is what "laying awake and stressing about neighbors and his early morning crowing" falls under. I have a husband who travels all nascar season for work, 2 dogs and a cat (who are not being re-homed), an adult daughter who still requires a lot of time and energy and a 9 yr old in remote learning.

I think Oscar will be extremely happy where he is going. And I hate to pass up this home and then have to cull him later. He is proving to be a great rooster and deserves a chance until he proves any different. Extremely tough decision, but I do need to focus on what I already have in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom