Can white Silkie chicks have pink skin at hatch?

I've been working on mottled silkies, and have had a lot of chicks start off with grey legs and completely pink toes - which looked adorable, by the way. So far, all but one have grown out of it, bit by bit, until the pink was only on the very toe tip, and finally the toenail, and then gone altogether. These were all Fm chicks, with blue-grey skin (verified by checking in their armpits).

My one exception is a girl who is both mottled and splash ( mo/mo and bl/bl ). She's just reached egg-laying age, but still has a few pink toe tips and a completely cream colored beak, which looks quite unusual on her face since the skin all around the beak is the typical silkie blue-grey. I will be interested to see how long it takes for all her extremities to melanize - if it happens at all. Two genes which suppress the production of the black pigment, eumelanin, locked in a struggle with another gene (Fm) which tries to overproduce it in all sorts of unusual places... what will the winner be?

Best - exop

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this 5 month old post because I've just had 2 more chicks hatch that have pink skin and feet. I had one from a previous hatch and I am relieved to read that they do darken up.
These are suppossed to be reds I got from a hatchery last year , but I suspect they are more partridge and to have these pink ones hatch was still a little shocking.
I know these aren't show quality but I'm wondering about what other breed they could have in them.
20345_img_1983.jpg

If you look closely at the picture I posted to show the contrast in colors I'm holding 2 chicks, one with black skin and one with pink. Even the down is a washed out lighter color on the lighter skinned one.
I'm glad I found this thread and that some people say the pink will darken.....I never would have thought it was possible.

Last edited:
Quote:
oooh me me me..My kast hatch had a gorgeouas buff silkie with all pink skin-It freaked me out! by the time she was 4 weeks old she was all black skinned:) I sold her last weekend-with the other buff that hatched out

here she was 2 days old
25181_cimg3449.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom