Can you explain the difference between Wheaten and Blue Wheaten to me?

spatulagirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Harpers Ferry, WV
I have some Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas I hatched last week. Looking at pictures, I can see the difference between the roosters but not the hens. What the heck am I missing?

In the Blue Wheatens, the blue will replace the areas on the hens that are black in the regular Wheatens. For sure more noticeable on the roos, in the hens it will be more subtle as they have less black to begin with. Look at their tails and wings. Now that said, I don't have Ameraucanas, I have Marans, but it should be close to the same I would think.

Last edited:
You cannot tell the difference between the pullets and cockerels until they feather out. The cockerels will have more black or blue on them than the pullets but you cant see on the pullets until they start getting their blue or black feathers. The only feathers I THINK you can be sure on are the tail feathers. Mine are still babies too so I'm still learning. It took some real brainpower (for me) to figure out how to breed them to get what it still makes no sense to me WHY you cant breed blue wheatens to blue wheatens to get blue wheatens but I know not to do it.lol

Hey everyone, bumping an old thread - hatched these "blue wheaten splash ameraucana" chicks almost about 4 days ago. Problem is - why dont they look like any BWS Ameraucana chick picture on the internet? The eggs they hatched from were as blue as my black ameraucana eggs.

I mean - yes I got them off eBay, BUT w/o addressing that aspect - could these be BWS, or do they look like another breed - heaven forbid more eBay EE's... thanks for the feedback BYC family!

You cannot tell the difference between the pullets and cockerels until they feather out. The cockerels will have more black or blue on them than the pullets but you cant see on the pullets until they start getting their blue or black feathers. The only feathers I THINK you can be sure on are the tail feathers. Mine are still babies too so I'm still learning. It took some real brainpower (for me) to figure out how to breed them to get what it still makes no sense to me WHY you cant breed blue wheatens to blue wheatens to get blue wheatens but I know not to do it.lol
What do you get if you breed blue wheaten to blue wheaten?

Back
Top Bottom