Can you feed chickens banana peels???

I've been feeding my chickens banana peals for at least a year. It's actually one of their favorite foods. I haven't noticed any problems, and they are as healthy as cam be. They eat the entire thing, nothing left.

I've been feeding my chickens banana peals for at least a year. It's actually one of their favorite foods. I haven't noticed any problems, and they are as healthy as cam be. They eat the entire thing, nothing left.

Interesting...I just hadn't thought of banana peels as food (they just go into the compost), but will definitely offer them to the chickens the next time I have some.

Just so you know. Chickens will definitely eat chopped up banana peel. Both my home birds and at the 19th century historical farm where I care for the livestock

Personally I wouldn't risk it unless bananas are organic.Maybe when it's processed into animal food it's not sprayed? However your garden [especially roses] will love the skins! No need for them to go to waste."They're not rubbish " said my 3 yr old grandaughter when someone tried to tell her her to throw her skin in the rubbish lol. I wouldn't want those pesticides in the food chain. We do eat the eggs.

Last edited:
We feed banana peels, and have for over 5 years and haven't had a problem. They love both the banana and the peel. Also love apple cores and peels, tomato cores, bell pepper cores (especially if it's red). strawberry tops, mine like anything red or green.

While banana peels are not toxic the pesticides used on them are, although the FDA in the U.S. requires pesticides to only be used at "safe levels" for human consumption. Does that equate to "safe levels" for small animal consumption? I couldn't say. Washing the banana before peeling should minimize the risk.

Other than the (probably) minimal pesticide risk bananas peels are very nutritious, BUT are high in a type of fiber that may be difficult for some animals to digest.

Mine actually peck the inside of the peel until there is nothing left but skin itself. So I am not very concerned, but one option if you intend to feed banana peel would be to use a veggie scrubber on the outside of the peel when you get the banana home.

Back
Top Bottom