Can you keep a lone turkey hen with chickens?

paigemn

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2018
Wisconsin
We had two turkey hens but one unfortunately died earlier this week. It seems like this one is having a hard time without her so far. They were basically tied at the hip. They never went anywhere without each other. The first day without her this hen was calling for her and looking for her outside. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen.. Now she seems different. Almost like she’s depressed. Are the chickens enough to keep her company? I don’t know how we would get another hen. I can’t find anyone who’s selling any around here. If I buy poults I’d have to get at least 2 or 3 and we don’t have room for that many turkeys. I’m not sure what to do.

We had two turkey hens but one unfortunately died earlier this week. It seems like this one is having a hard time without her so far. They were basically tied at the hip. They never went anywhere without each other. The first day without her this hen was calling for her and looking for her outside. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen.. Now she seems different. Almost like she’s depressed. Are the chickens enough to keep her company? I don’t know how we would get another hen. I can’t find anyone who’s selling any around here. If I buy poults I’d have to get at least 2 or 3 and we don’t have room for that many turkeys. I’m not sure what to do.
Turkeys can and do get depressed. She would be better off with another turkey to keep her company. Chickens and turkeys do not speak the same language. If you can't find another turkey, you might want to rehome her to a place that has more turkeys.

Most of the people we know who have turkeys raise them for meat. So they’re butchered by now. I have family members who get poults for butchering later. I could have them keep a hen for us but obviously we wouldn’t have her for quite a while since it takes so long to figure out the gender.

I am a newbe so others may have more advice but I don't see why not. We have a Tom that is close to 2 years old and the first year and a half of his life he was only with chickens.
You have been very lucky. Normally a lone tom with chickens means dead chickens when breeding season rolls around. Most chickens end up as flat chickens when a tom tries to breed them.

Back
Top Bottom