Can you MAKE a hen go BROODY?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

from what I hear the buff orbigtons amd the game birds are the best chicken to go broodies.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

from what I hear the buff orbigtons amd the game birds are the best chicken to go broodies.

Silkies are very best broody hens from everything I have read..they will try to hatch rocks and golf balls...My silkie went broody at 8 months

I've had people tell me that Rocks were really good, but all the books I've read say that most Rocks will brood very seldom. I am starting to have a few chickens for the eggs and meat, but really wanted them to set instead of using a incubator. I don't plan on having that many, but reading some of the posts here, I may be in trouble!lol!

I agree with the other posts. You can't make a hen go broody. If you have one of the breeds that tend to be broody you can try. Watch them carefully at first to make sure your intended broody will accept the chicks.

I'm new to this, but I LOVE seeing chicks with their mommas! I have 3 cochins that are supposed to be broody. Do you think it would be possible to just let one go broody on ceramic eggs, and then slip one day old chicks under her one night? Do you think that could fool a broody chicken? Anyone tried it with a cochin? If it's a stupid question from a newbie, by all means have a good laugh, but then, seriously, let me know how you could do it! TY!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom