Can you MAKE a hen go BROODY?

I have the opposite problem, I can't stop my hens from going broody. Right now I have a total of 7 broodies
hide.gif

I had a hen go broody when I took her out of the flock. She was being mean to all the other hens and I wanted to change her status to see if she would be a little nicer. So I put her in a large dog crate for a week and let her do her own thing by herself. I noticed she was sitting on an egg and every time I saw her she was sitting on that egg (she is an old chicken that lays very little these days). When I removed the egg it had clearly been incubated, then I noticed the hen had pecked all her under belly feathers out, I put her back with the group and she is a little nicer, but she has not laid an egg since (not really worried cause she is so old) but I think she was all set to be a mama. It made me wonder if I put a hen in a cage like that again, if that works to get them in a broody mood? idk just wanted to share my thoughts there

If you leave the chicken inside the bucket with eggs will she really sit down.
Because I have a chicken that puffs up and screams, but doesn't sit on eggs, just makes strange noises around them.

Quote:
Down here, the story is the same. I have a friend that swear to me that results . One thing is for sure. If you leave the eggs in the nests, the probably of broodies, increase.

Quote:
Down here, the story is the same. I have a friend that swear to me that results . One thing is for sure. If you leave the eggs in the nests, the probably of broodies, increases.

I can't believe this got to three pages and no one said anything about Sourland.

Hens do what they want...unless Sourland has been dancing...

This is to chickenaddict. (but others can answer)
What kind of hens do you have that you have so much broodies?
How much do you feed them a day?
My mom doesn't let us feed them a lot, because they don't grow.

This is to EmtheFishLady
What is Sourland?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom