Can you sex a cream legbar mix?

clarsen5325

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
Pine valley, CA
This little things mom is a cream legbar and dad is some sort of olive egger. Is it still possible to sex this accurately?

Was the father barred? This is hard because the down color is light, but it is technically a black sex link as long as dad wasn't barred, meaning males will have a head spot and females won't. With down that light it's hard to say, but you should be able to tell once it starts to feather out - if it's barred, it's a male. Not barred, it's a female. Again, only true if dad wasn't barred.

What pyxis said
smile.png
. I'd lean toward it being male because there's a lighter area on the head, but I'm not positive.

Was the father barred? This is hard because the down color is light, but it is technically a black sex link as long as dad wasn't barred, meaning males will have a head spot and females won't. With down that light it's hard to say, but you should be able to tell once it starts to feather out - if it's barred, it's a male. Not barred, it's a female. Again, only true if dad wasn't barred.

What pyxis said
smile.png
. I'd lean toward it being male because there's a lighter area on the head, but I'm not positive.
X2 on both of the above posts.

Thanks for all the great information! This is close to what the rooster dad looks like.

He's not barred. This little chick is very light. For cream leg bars I thought the females had a dark spot and males have a white spot- is that right?

Thanks for all the great information! This is close to what the rooster dad looks like.

He's not barred. This little chick is very light. For cream leg bars I thought the females had a dark spot and males have a white spot- is that right?

The chick should be sex linked then. Actually in cream legbars the males have a head spot and the females do not.

The dad looks like red sexlinked Easter Egger. Honestly, I don't think your chick can be sexed right now with any kind of accuracy. It's difficult to maintain the auto sexing traits even when breeding pure Legbars.

The dad looks like red sexlinked Easter Egger. Honestly, I don't think your chick can be sexed right now with any kind of accuracy. It's difficult to maintain the auto sexing traits even when breeding pure Legbars. 

It can be sexed, but right now it's hard because of the light down color. However, when the wing feathers come in, as long as they don't come in white, it will be easy. If they are barred, it is a male. If not, it is a female. This chick is not auto-sexing, it is a sex link.

Last edited:
So my best bet for this little guy is to wait to see if it's barred?
I'm glad I asked, I totally thought that females had dark spots! This is all great to know!

Back
Top Bottom