Canadian Ontario Hatchery?

Hi, I just moved to North West Ontario from Texas and looking for a place to order chickens. I know it is probably too late now to order some chicks even from a large hatchery...as it is September 10th. I am looking for super cold hearty dual-purpose birds, as NW Ontario winters are brutal...so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Where abouts are you in Ontario? I'm near Collingwood. This is our first year/winter with chickens. We have orpingtons, australorps, easter eggers, and one little tiny silkie! Our coop is insulated but not heated. They seem to be doing just fine so far! :)

I'm looking for some new breeds for spring time. I think a lot of chickens are actually pretty winter hardy if given the time to acclimate to the temperature and kept out of the wind and snow. We have a large covered run that we wrapped in plastic to keep the wind and snow out. They spend all day in the run. :)

Where abouts are you in Ontario? I'm near Collingwood. This is our first year/winter with chickens. We have orpingtons, australorps, easter eggers, and one little tiny silkie! Our coop is insulated but not heated. They seem to be doing just fine so far! :)

I'm looking for some new breeds for spring time. I think a lot of chickens are actually pretty winter hardy if given the time to acclimate to the temperature and kept out of the wind and snow. We have a large covered run that we wrapped in plastic to keep the wind and snow out. They spend all day in the run. :)
Hi Lily, we are in NW Ontario, Red Lake. Collingwood, is that near Kitchener/Toronto...?

What is the coldest you get to? I am told we get a week of solid -30 to -40ish, and then most of the winter is -10 to -20 with snow on the ground the whole time.

I would fear keeping it heated in the place I plan to use for a coop would be costly, I want them to be warm and happy. In Texas by girls layed eggs year around, I fed them scraps (proper scraps, I was picky!) and freshly cooked beans/rice with their normal chicken feed.

For purebred chicks
1f423.png
and laying hens
1f414.png
in Ontario go to. http://organiccarefarm.com/shop.php

www.organiccarefarm.com

Hi my names Hailey and I live in Ontario Canada and I'm looking for some hatching eggs for this spring or a couple week old chicks I'm looking more for show birds. I have a polish rooster that needs s hen friend any other kinds of birds like that is what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot!

We considered Freys when ordering chicks but found that many small breeders advertis on Kijiji. We have been very happy with the chicks we have found, they are healthy, happy and come from backyard and small breeders who really care about their birds.

So kijiji search did it for us and we have found many breeders fairly close.

I'm in Ontario also... and I've been wondering where to get more of a Variety of bird.. Chickens are addictive!

How about some White Chanteclers? They are a native Canadian breed and specially bred to resist very cold temps. They are dual purpose and lay well in the winter. Ontario is a hotbed for Chantecler Breeders. Just surf for "Canadian Chantecler breeders" and see what comes up. Probably one near you. I am in western PA USA and awaiting my White Chanteclers next Aug. Well worth waiting for. If you don't have a coop yet, consider the Woods Open Air Coop. A great design, esp. for very cold climates. Doesn't need any heat with Chanteclers. Cirrus Hill Farm ( website) has a lovely strain of White Chanteclers ( Eric Rivard strain) . They have a website and will reply if you email them. Above is Hawthorn Hill, another quality Chantecler breeder, and some other interesting links.

Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom