Canadians check in here....

I
First snow here today, and my first snow with chickens, I have no clue if I should let them outside its -3c, I know they are going to want to.

Also I need to butcher an18 week old cockerel as he is causing trouble for the two gentlemen I have also 18 weeks. Any tips for this time of year, when we processed our broilers they were starting to get hair, MIL said it was from the cold, should I just skin him?[/quote
I let mine out as long as its around 0 plus or minus a few degrees. I'd say you ought to be okay; my rule of thumb is the wind. When you go from chilly to 'cold', ie whipping snow, bad wind, that's when I get nervous. There are always enough sunny winter days to get them out for exercise every now and again.
As for hair, if you really want the skin on for its basting properties, you can singe it off,or just take as much off by hand before you throw it in the oven. We don't eat the skin so it's of no concern to us to leave a few tiny hairs on.

I
First snow here today, and my first snow with chickens, I have no clue if I should let them outside its -3c, I know they are going to want to.

Also I need to butcher an18 week old cockerel as he is causing trouble for the two gentlemen I have also 18 weeks. Any tips for this time of year, when we processed our broilers they were starting to get hair, MIL said it was from the cold, should I just skin him?[/quote
I let mine out as long as its around 0 plus or minus a few degrees. I'd say you ought to be okay; my rule of thumb is the wind. When you go from chilly to 'cold', ie whipping snow, bad wind, that's when I get nervous. There are always enough sunny winter days to get them out for exercise every now and again.
As for hair, if you really want the skin on for its basting properties, you can singe it off,or just take as much off by hand before you throw it in the oven. We don't eat the skin so it's of no concern to us to leave a few tiny hairs on.

*Sorry for the response this way* it seems to keep happening when I use my iphone. Anyhow hopefully everyone can figure out my response. Gah. Technology.

Quote: Your in Canada? :)
I am :)
So we have one of the first members of BYC right from Canada! Right on!
highfive.gif

I'm so behind in this thread! I wanted to thank everyone who PM'd me about the seramas. I'm actually focusing on Bantam Silver-Laced Wyandottes right now (along with my Japanese Coturnix quail). So if anyone in the Ottawa area is keeping the same & would like to do some trading let me know. I'm also hoping to get into Swedish Flower Hens & maybe D'uccles. Also, hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! This is what I found in my nestbox yesterday...
Quail song I might be interested in SELLING a couple special coloured coturnix I'm in Richmond hill.

Good morning Canadians...

Need your help. Looking for hatching eggs for Icelandic birds or Orloff .....can't find any here in QUebec. Maybe somewhere in ROC can help me ;)

Thank you

Isabelle

Back
Top Bottom