Canadians check in here....

I have been gently prodded to introduce myself over here. :) I'll admit, I've been hanging out in the Duck Pond area for the most part! :D

My name is Chris, or Wind if you prefer, and am about 45 minutes north-west of Perth, Ontario, putting me smack dab in the middle of NOWHERE! Previously, I've lived most of my life in the Ottawa area.

I'm currently mostly raising Muscovy ducks, although I got some Lavender Orpingtons this year, as well as rabbits. Oh, and two pet roosters! My daughter, whom I live with, has Magpie and Cayuga ducks and a small flock of Bantam chickens (Silkies, which are technically my grandson's, Cochins, and Easter Eggers).

I am also owned by three cats (two Abyssinians and one Domestic Longhair) and one dog (American Foxhound), as well as two elderly gerbils.

I'm looking for some Brahmas, so if anyone close by has some, give me a shout!

Last edited:
I have been gently prodded to introduce myself over here. :) I'll admit, I've been hanging out in the Duck Pond area for the most part! :D

My name is Chris, or Wind if you prefer, and am about 45 minutes north-west of Perth, Ontario, putting me smack dab in the middle of NOWHERE! Previously, I've lived most of my life in the Ottawa area.

I'm currently mostly raising Muscovy ducks, although I got some Lavender Orpingtons this year, as well as rabbits. Oh, and two pet roosters! My daughter, whom I live with, has Magpie and Cayuga ducks and a small flock of Bantam chickens (Silkies, which are technically my grandson's, Cochins, and Easter Eggers).

I am also owned by three cats (two Abyssinians and one Domestic Longhair) and one dog (American Foxhound), as well as two elderly gerbils.

Welcome!

:frowWelcome to BYC. We have a good Canadian representation here. Glad you are now part of it! :D

Muscovy ducks, Lavender Orpingtons, rabbits, roosters, Magpie and Cayuga ducks, Bantam chickens (Silkies, Cochins, and Easter Eggers).

three cats (two Abyssinians and one Domestic Longhair) and one dog (American Foxhound), two elderly gerbils.

I'm looking for some Brahmas
Gosh! You have a lot of poo to manage in a day! ;)

You have my admiration (but I am too far away to help)

How are the Muscovy doing in your weather ? I have had two and winter was quite the challenge for them.

Gosh! You have a lot of poo to manage in a day! ;)

You have my admiration (but I am too far away to help)

How are the Muscovy doing in your weather ? I have had two and winter was quite the challenge for them.

Lol! Thankfully, the birds all free-range, and the bunnies' poop falls through the bottom of the cage. Of course, there's been more than one time where I've knelt in duck poop... As for the cats and dog... Kitty litter is sooooo heavy!

They overwintered well. I kept them in a good, deep bed, and they were inside their coop on days that were too cold. Wish I could say the same about myself!

Whereabouts in Quebec are you? I grew up in Gatineau, on the other side of the Ottawa River. 100% bilingual. If I get too tired, or had a glass of wine too many (rare!) I end up with a French accent when I speak English, and an English accent when I speak French! LOL!

Welcome! Glad someone pushed you over towards the Canadian thread!

Brahmas seem to be few and far between this year, I've had no luck myself in finding some, or the bantam cochins I've been desperately trying to add to my flock. Everyone with decent breeds seem to be waaaaay up north or out towards you, a decent haul for where I'm at towards Barrie.

Have you tried the "light weight" litter? It doesn't seem to hold up as well or as long as the regular stuff under the constant assault of four cats, but it saves my back!

Welcome! Glad someone pushed you over towards the Canadian thread!

Brahmas seem to be few and far between this year, I've had no luck myself in finding some, or the bantam cochins I've been desperately trying to add to my flock. Everyone with decent breeds seem to be waaaaay up north or out towards you, a decent haul for where I'm at towards Barrie.

Have you tried the "light weight" litter? It doesn't seem to hold up as well or as long as the regular stuff under the constant assault of four cats, but it saves my back!

Thank you!

Yeah, I had some Brahmas lined up, but the breeder's hubby 'switched boxes' and the eggs that were incubated turned out not to have any. >.< As for Bantam Cochins, my daughter has a bunch right now, just a few months old so we can't sex, but maybe next year I'll have eggs available for hatching!

I have tried it, and I actually like it. It doesn't seem to fall apart as easily as regular clumping litter, but it is more expensive. Tempted to switch to it permanently though, as it is so much easier to clean.

I am in the mountains of the Laurentians, deep in the woods. It can get nasty cold and the Muscovies did not like it. :( I now have Khaki Campbells/Golden 300, this is their first year, so we will see (fingers crossed) that they are better.

Oh, a beautiful area for sure! We have that in common, as I'm also in the middle of the woods in the mountains. :)

Good luck with the ducks, I hope they do better for you!

Good Morning!
I reside in Ontario. We currently have 3 ducks, 6 layers, 20 pullets, 8 chicks and 1 confirmed rooster. I'm currently feeding my mixed flock Gold'n Grower but it seems to only be available in Crum where I live and I'm hating the waste. It's not as bad as when I was feeding mash but I still find that my Faverolles' who aren't great forages just spill so much.
I am still wanting a grower with atleast 18% protein... am I out of luck? Wish we really did have better options for an all flock food.

Back
Top Bottom