Canadians check in here....

To add more...since I'm very visual-based & like sharing pics. :)

This is what my coop floor currently looks like...

With video so you can see a bit more:

All I did was rake up a ton of leaves & toss it in a big pile in the middle of the coop. I didn't even spread it out. The birds did all the hard work for me. That pumpkin (the treat) was left to sit in the middle of the coop. I just pile stuff there - they rake it everywhere & turn the compost. Probably the easiest way to maintain a coop, imo. I just rake the stuff out every Spring or Autumn (Spring to steal compost, Autumn when Iget more leaves/garden scraps). Easy peasy. :)

Oh pictures

Sorry not totally related... But these are my poop boards, their old Rubbermaid tote bin lids they pop out so I can dump them... I like them

Oh pictures

Sorry not totally related... But these are my poop boards, their old Rubbermaid tote bin lids they pop out so I can dump them... I like them
That's a nice idea! I could utilize something like that for my large roost. Esp with the turkey nesting with the chickens. When she poops it's like dropping a small nuke below.

I don't have an insulated coop... Just a dogloo for them in the winter cold, although I also have a dog house with a light bulb attachment I can give them if I need to, but I'm worried about setting them on fire so I'm saving that as an absolute emergency. There are only four of them but with no experience I'm a little worried that a) they might not be warm enough in the dogloo, and b) that there will be too much moisture in there - not sure there's enough of a vent on the top. Right now they're still sleeping in the summer shelter I made them, a pallet house with 3 1/2 walls (I made the walls solid, but there is a 6" space at the top for venting between the roof and the walls. They like the roosts there, but this week we're dropping below zero so I wondered if I should lock them into the dogloo one night so they figure out that it's warmer in there?

We're having a little wind storm right now and the wind has blown my plastic partially off the roof of the run -- guess it wasn't as secure as i thought -- and they're clucking and a little worried. I gave them some pumpkin innards to distract them... :eek:)

I'm just so worried about them... Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate them. :eek:)

Can you put the dogloo in a garage or shed for winter? They'll be spending many months cooped up and that is too small a place even for just 2 hens
to spend a winter in.

Hi everyone I'm from newfoundland .... I'm currently looking for some hatchable Rhode Island Red eggs Does anyone know where I can get some some ? Here in NL or get some shipped in ? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom