Quote:
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
An air cell can be in the wrong part of the egg. It should be at the fat end. Shipped eggs, particularly air freighted, can have them on the side, or split in two parts, or at the wrong end. This makes it a lot harder for the chick to peck at the right piece of membrane to get at that first reservoir of air before it pecks through the shell into the outside world.

I don't know what you do about an air cell in the wrong place if you spot it after incubation starts. I understand you can get misplaced air sacs to move back to the right place before incubation, by "resting" the eggs, with the broad end up. Some people always candle shipped eggs before putting them under the broody hen or in the incubator.

Here is a link to a good photo showing an air cell on the candling sticky. The air cell is the pale area at the left (thicker) end of the egg: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/230_day_62ps.jpg

Here is the sticky itself:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

Last edited:
Quote:
One is a living embryo and one is a dead embryo. However, if you are candling a clutch of eggs, compare your own eggs with each other first. If there are obvious differences, then some will be good and some will not. Comparing with a range of diagrams and photographs (there are many on the internet) will then help you figure out which are which.

Hi, I'm still learning... But, if the air cell is still growing, does that generally mean that the embryo is still living? I have 3 eggs in hatcher and 2 are a couple days overdue. One of them has a very large air cell but it stopped growing. The other overdue egg has a slightly smaller one that is still growing. The temps were low in this incubator due to thermometer malfunction. I think the one with the larger air cell may have died.

Just curious if the air cell grows even if a chick dies? Or only when alive?

An old but useful thread! Waiting on some eggs under a broody hen- our first hatch? Not sure how many are fertilized or what will happen... it's march in Maine after all!

Well I'm going to cross my fingers! Is it safe to say that by day 10 no air sac = no chick?
even an infertile egg will have an aircell that grows during the incubation period...had that issue with my first try at hatching my own eggs. Too many roosters keeping each other from fertilizing the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom