candling/hatching question

Omg, YAY!!!!!!! Best thing to wake up to ever! :D

As for the food, if they have actual duckling pellets/crumbles that is best, but most often they don't and we have to make do with chick crumbles. That is fine for ducklings, so long as it is non-medicated AND that you supplement the food with niacin. Ducklings need much more niacin than chicks do, so chick food does not have enough. You can get straight up niacin in many stores in the vitamin section, or you can dissolve B-complex vitamins in the water if they don't have just niacin. You can also use brewer's yeast as it is also a good niacin source. :)

Make sure the little one has a water dish it can only get it's head into to clear out it's nares, but not get it's whole body in so that it doesn't end up all wet and get chilled. Chick waterers work great for ducklings this small, but you'll have to upgrade soon as they grow so fast. I use plastic food containers with lids that I just cut the appropriate sized hole into so they can get their heads in, but not their bodies. Make sure you upgrade those as the duckling grows as well. 

Once dry and more active (by tomorrow), be sure you dip the little one's bill gently into the water so it can learn to drink. It should automatically drink some water and then will know where to get water from. You might have to play in the food a little with your finger to get it to come over and play with that too and learn what is good to eat. You can also give them a little bit of finely chopped hard-boiled egg for a little extra boost if it doesn't start eating right away. Finely chopped kale is also good. I think it works great to have all those different colors to get their attention in their food at first, they seem to start eating faster. Don't give the hard-boiled egg after they are a few days old though, then they will be getting too much protein which can cause problems later on.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! And enjoy your new little one! ^-^ How long until the next ones are due?

Thanks so much!! I was so excited it took me forever to go to sleep!! Lol I have a feeder and waterer. Of course my tractor supply only has chick food..so I'll pick up some chick starter crumble. I'll check there for the niacin too. If they don't have it do you think walmart would??

I have some more fertile eggs that I could put in the Bator as soon as I take this one out, but idk if I am going to or not.

Last edited:
I think my TSC had the gamebird/showbird feed that I used for my last ducklings, first couple of weeks. the niacin content was higher, and I had turkey hatch at the same time. But I'm not sure if that's advisable or not!! Mine did fine on it though, with no other supplements.

Ok!! I fed dumor chick starter to my others when they were babies per the lady who worked there who has ducks. All the different kinds confuse me!

Our little miracle duckie this morning! Doesn't look quite dried out yet, but maybe it will be by the time I get back from the store!

What a little cutie! <3

You should take out that bowl of water and sponge so he doesn't fall in. Since there are no other eggs in there it is not needed (sorry, I forgot this was the only egg you had left). They don't need humidity after hatching. ;)

Will you be able to find him a friend or two? Ducks are flock animals and do much better with buddies. If you can't find any ducklings anywhere, chicks will also work. It's very hard to raise a single duckling because they will freak out and scream every time you leave the room. Mirrors and stuffed animals help for awhile, though.

Our little miracle duckie this morning! Doesn't look quite dried out yet, but maybe it will be by the time I get back from the store!

Often chicks/ducklings don't dry fluffy in an incubator. Use a soft cloth and fluff him up. Naturally, ducklings have mom and each other to do this.

Last edited:
I have read that the timed-release kind is not the right one to use. I don't think it would hurt them at all, but it's maybe just not as effective? I'm not sure why the timed-release thing matters to be quite honest.

But niacin in pill form is fine to use. You just dissolve them in warm water. I believe the dose is 120 mg niacin to one gallon of water. When I did this for my little ones I just made up a batch of niacin water and kept it in the fridge to be used when needed. Then I'd make up a new batch every couple days or so when it'd run out.

Back
Top Bottom