candling/hatching question

I went to town earlier and got a larger old school thermometer. I also got a 15 watt bulb to try instead of using the 25 watt suggested in the YouTube videos.

So, when I got home I did some prep work and some tinkering. I poked and few holes in the sides, made an aluminum barrier to put between the light bulb and the eggs so that there wouldn't be so much direct heat. I very carefully and quickly added the new thermometer, changed out the light bulb and put in the barrier. I'm still working with my humidity level, but it's staying around 50% and my temp is staying around 99°F. The highest it's gotten is 100 and the lowest it's gotten is 97 97 is low; you want to strive to keep the temperature close to 100. Are these Temps ok? What range do I need to stay in? Also, how many times a day do I need to mist them with water I misted duck eggs only at lockdown? Is the air cell supposed to be at the large end of the egg Yes or the small pointy end of the egg No I wanna make sure I'm looking at them right..lol!

Thanks for your answers! Ill keep tinkering with it till I get the temp closer to 100. Do I just mist them the morning lock down begins? And it beings on day 26 right?

According to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (great book, if you've never read it, I recommend it!) misting is best to only do from day 6 to day 24. Not during lockdown. I never misted my duck eggs, but have read that others have had good luck with it. Especially if they are really tough shells. Apparently the misting and drying helps make the shell easier for the duckling to break.

As far as when you lockdown and increase your humidity, day 25 is most common, but check your air cells and development that day and use that to determine if its time.

I'm not exactly sure. I went out Monday evening and noticed she wasn't sitting and the eggs felt cool to the touch. I left them in the nest that night. Tuesday she was still not sitting at all, so I collected the eggs, candled and posted pics. Threw out the bad ones and put the good ones under a heat lamp until I was able to get to town. I made a homemade incubator and got them in it late Tuesday evening.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure. I went out Monday evening and noticed she wasn't sitting and the eggs felt cool to the touch. I left them in the nest that night. Tuesday she was still not sitting at all, so I collected the eggs, candled and posted pics. Threw out the bad ones and put the good ones under a heat lamp until I was able to get to town. I made a homemade incubator and got them in it late Tuesday evening.
That's what I thought I remembered. The hen must have gone back to her nest for that night. I doubt eggs/embryos would survive being chilled that long.

Your guess is as good as mine! Lol I couldn't believe they were still alive!

Well I believe I have lost one. I opened the Bator to turn the eggs and I got a stinky whiff. So I decided to candle to check it out. One of them I didn't see movement, the rest I did. So I did the smell test. All smell normal except for the one with no movement..I do believe that's where my stinky whiff came from. Should I go ahead and take it out?

Well I believe I have lost one. I opened the Bator to turn the eggs and I got a stinky whiff. So I decided to candle to check it out. One of them I didn't see movement, the rest I did. So I did the smell test. All smell normal except for the one with no movement..I do believe that's where my stinky whiff came from. Should I go ahead and take it out?

If you are sure that the smell is coming from that egg, yes you should remove it. Smell means harmful bacteria. Many of us have had bad eggs explode; not something you want to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom