candling two goose eggs on day 31 are they dead or alive?

@Finnie @OldSchoolSarge what do you think should i let her keep sitting another day or 2? @Pyxis
I wouldn't. Looks like baby got stuck and passed while trying to turn, but I'm not an expert. All the eggs I've candled, once you see shadowing like that there's almost non-stop movement. This is the first year I've actually incubated, though, so follow your gut.

I wouldn't. Looks like baby got stuck and passed while trying to turn, but I'm not an expert. All the eggs I've candled, once you see shadowing like that there's almost non-stop movement. This is the first year I've actually incubated, though, so follow your gut.
k thanks. I just got my nerves together and took her last egg from the nest right out from under her and I moved her outside. She’s very upset with me. Well, so is daddy gander ..The only baby of the four eggs that hatched alive has a turned under foot that I am treating with a little boot and I have to keep her upstairs with me in a brooder until she can at least walk well enough to go back with mom and dad. So I had to take her away from them as soon as I noticed it . It’s sad three out of four eggs died, and one is lame, But I’m thankful for this little one, and I think she will do just fine with lots of niacin and her little boot 😍

k thanks. I just got my nerves together and took her last egg from the nest right out from under her and I moved her outside. She’s very upset with me. Well, so is daddy gander ..The only baby of the four eggs that hatched alive has a turned under foot that I am treating with a little boot and I have to keep her upstairs with me in a brooder until she can at least walk well enough to go back with mom and dad. So I had to take her away from them as soon as I noticed it . It’s sad three out of four eggs died, and one is lame, But I’m thankful for this little one, and I think she will do just fine with lots of niacin and her little boot 😍
I had one of my new babies drown in mama's water overnight, so I sympathize!🙁

If you hold the egg still while candling you should see some movement eventually if they’re still alive. Sometimes it can look like nothings going on but that’s when they’re basically asleep, but you should see signs of them breathing at some point if they’re still alive.
I’m sorry for what you’re going through @Jenbirdee, incubating is rough.

I had one of my new babies drown in mama's water overnight, so I sympathize!🙁
may i ask you please, for future reference in how high a future bucket has to be to avoid that, (how many feet/inches or centimeters up was the top of your bucket? how much higher do you think it should have to be next time? ) i wonder if the adults can even reach the water if it’s up high enough to prevent? it’s quite the predicament - and apparently happens to a lot of us 😥

may i ask you please, for future reference in how high a future bucket has to be to avoid that, (how many feet/inches or centimeters up was the top of your bucket? how much higher do you think it should have to be next time? ) i wonder if the adults can even reach the water if it’s up high enough to prevent? it’s quite the predicament - and apparently happens to a lot of us 😥
I used a large cottage cheese container (48 ounce one from Wegmans). I swapped it out for a shallow 8 ounce whipped cream container. The water is really only for overnight, they're free-range during the day and have access to a pond. The issue doesn't seem to be them getting in so much as being able to get back out. If you had a larger bucket, maybe try adding bricks to one side or a ramp?

Back
Top Bottom