Candy/deep fry thermometer for incubation?

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
I have a Hova Bater 2370. Incubator temperature reads 100.2. ThermoPro TP03 digital meat thermometer reads 100-101 and all the cheap Amazon digital thermometer/hydrometers combos are 3-5 degrees off and cannot be calibrated.😣

Trying to find something accurate where the display stays on. Using a separate hydrometer is fine. Has anyone tried something like this glass candy thermometer?

No go. The range of a candy thermometer starts at 100 and impossible to read a degree. Can't calibrate either.
Don't know what style of regular cooking digital one you have but everyone I have had (work in food) is easily calibrated. You should have 3 buttons on the face. On/off, C/F and calibrate. Stick the thermometer stem in an ice bath, hold calibrate until it reads 32, usually hit it again and you're in business. On the dial ones, same drill. Place in ice bath and if it's not 32,:take a pair of plyers, grab the hex nut on the back side and turn it until it's 32.
I prefer the dial. Stays "on" where as you have to turn on the digital anytime you want to check temp. The battery also runs out in the digital. The digital is more accurate but I'm not going to sweat a half degree.

Last edited:
Something like this should work. You can see if the indicator is between the marks. Each mark represents 2F increment. You can calibrate by placing in an ice bath and adjusting the hex nut that attaches the gage display to the stem if needed. So it won't tell you 99.5, but you should be able to tell if it's 99F or 100 for sure. There are other options out there - what you want is a meat thermometer.

$7 at walmart, fast response, never dies, stainless steel, so easy to use and sanitize. I use these to keep an eye on my brooders' temperature when using heat lamps.

https://www.amazon.com/CDN-IRXL220-Large-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B000A3L614

No go. The range of a candy thermometer starts at 100 and impossible to read a degree. Can't calibrate either.
Don't know what style of regular cooking digital one you have but everyone I have had (work in food) is easily calibrated. You should have 3 buttons on the face. On/off, C/F and calibrate. Stick the thermometer stem in an ice bath, hold calibrate until it reads 32, usually hit it again and you're in business. On the dial ones, same drill. Place in ice bath and if it's not 32,:take a pair of plyers, grab the hex nut on the back side and turn it until it's 32.
I prefer the dial. Stays "on" where as you have to turn on the digital anytime you want to check temp. The battery also runs out in the digital. The digital is more accurate but I'm not going to sweat a half degree.
Thank you for a great solution! These digital cheap Amazon thermometer/hydrometer combos have been driving me crazy with the inaccuracy.

Back
Top Bottom