Canine Sebaceous Cyst

Pics

ChickNanny13

Enabler
10 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
Mia is a 8yr old Chi/Terrier mix, spayed and basically in house (potty paper), though she prefers to poop outside. She's been on Nutro dry dog food from when we got her at 7wks, currently on Nutro Essential Small Breed Senior food. Does get Greenies to help keep her teeth clean, helps alot. She was overweight (11lbs) due to Hubby's feeding her table food, he passed away in February, now weighs 7.8lbs.

About a year and a half ago, found a lump on her back. Looked to me like an oil gland, took her to the Vet, told it's a inflamed sebaceous gland. That it's common in older dogs. It was just that one lump and it didn't bother her.

About a month ago I notice a couple more on her back when I was bathing her, they were smaller. Couple of weeks ago, noticed the lump was drying & flaky, she was itchy & scratching alot. When inspecting her, her lower half of her body was very flaky and she had a odor. Took her to the Vet, told it's a sebeceous cyst and it'll come and go. I did notice alot more tiny ones and the large one had shranked so ok. Nothing to be done.

Researching on the internet, read Witch Hazel applied several times a day with bathing. Witch Hazel has helped with the itching, I dab it on every lump I can find. Her skin is flaky which is working it's way up to her neck, there's a couple lumps along her shoulder blade area but they are smaller. Ok, so I'm dealing with the itch and I also brush her but the smell is bothersome.

Don't know how to describe it, sour? My bedding smells ... I wash the covers on the loveseat that she spends time on as well as her bedding and mine. I ordered coal tar shampoo, hoping it will help with her itch, flaking and smell. IF I can get it under control, them I'll have to replace the area carpet in the living room cause I'm sure it smells, thank goodness I have linoleum flooring and we don't get visitors very often.

I've started to bath her at every two weeks, she smells ok for about 3 days, then I want to bathe her again but that would be too often. Thought about Oatmeal shampoo would be mild, right now using Tea Tree/Coconut Oi. Thinking/Hoping the Coal Tar Shampoo will be better, says for dry, itchy, flaky and smell :fl

Sorry this is so long but wanted to get all the information out there. Anyone have any advice? Remedies to try? Ideas about what else I could try? Basically the smell, brushing helps the flaking and Witch Hazel helps the itching. Any help would really be appreciated :hugs

:hugs im sorry @ChickNanny13 !

Ive had a few dogs with skin problems but not that exact issue. One had demodex mange, i tried so many things for her. Currently we have an 8 yr old chihuahua mixed schnauzer who has the weirdest nappy wire fur. Both of them had the same flakey smelly skin. Current one still does if shes not bathed every wk. At first every wk wasnt often enough to keep the smell at bay but like urself i was worried about doing it too often. I kept at it and after a month she didnt smell so bad inbetween baths! Each time their skin healed up and she regrew her hair. I simply used orig blue dawn dishwashing liquid.

@mixedUPturk Really, the original regular blue dawn dishwashing liquid? You have given me HOPE :hugs I just purchased Oatmeal/Honey shampoo, got the Coal/Tar shampoo on order ... I use Dawn (original) and will be trying that out.

So you bathe every week, do you blow dry or towel dry? Think I'll do every week for a month and see how that works. I just went out to purchase "odor" absorbers ... Plan on replacing the area rug once I figure out how to remedy her smell. Washing the comforter and furniture covering every week.

I noticed the Witch Hazel helps the itching, she's not scratching all day long. She's kind of liking the "extra" attention when I'm searching for those lumps and applying the WH, then brush her cause of her shedding and flakes.

Thank you so very much :fl Will be bathing her this weekend when the weather gets better. We have a hurricane passing south of us but there's another that will be getting pretty close early next week.

Awe your so welcome! :hugs I swear thats exactly what i use and how often i do it and it worked for them. It also keeps the fleas at bay which was my orig reason for using it while i was still rubbing this ointment and this and the other into her sores. The time i took that one to the vet with demodex diagnosed they gave her a shot and it went away for about 6 months then popped back up.

Oh man! My heart goes out to you for the stormy weather! Im in South Louisiana so i know a thing or three about that.

Yes they do appreciate the extra attention :lau I tried so many things on the first one she was like "yes mom! rub my feet now! " :rolleyes:

I always towel dry. scared again that the blow dryer would be drying their skin out more than neccessary. I still have to wash dog beds every wk but the smell in the house is alot better.

I'm sorry your dog is having skin issues. My wire haired Dixie had reaccuring sebaceous cysts also. He passed away 2 months ago, he was 21 yrs old. I was blessed to have had him for so long but he smelled like rotting meat some days. I never found a way to get rid of the smell for more than a few days. The cysts did get better/less active in cooler weather but his skin was very dry. I used a conditioner after bathing it seemed to help the dry skin and smell some.
Good luck with your dog. I hope you can find something that helps.

I'm so sorry for your pup, it's hard to see our furry kids uncomfortable!

I have a silkie terrier with very dry skin. Coconut oil rubbed on after her bath helps the flakes quite a bit. Just a thought. Hope your pup feels better!

:hugs Thank you all ... Witch Hazel with QTip seems to have relived the itching/scratching. Noticed the original one is shrinking, the tiny ones disappeared ... So must be helping that.

Have yet to try bathing with Dawn, Tropical Storm Erick (down graded from a hurricane) is raining down on us. Tropical Storm Flossi following, very slight chance of turning into a Category 1 but this one will pass very close :fl hoping she stays on path& not head straight at us.
The odor absorbers seem to help, either that or my nose is numb :gig She still smells but alot more comfortable.

Again thank you all for your advice and remedies :hugs I will update after her first bath with Dawn, hopefully in between storms (Sat - Sun).

Back
Top Bottom