Canine Sebaceous Cyst

Your dog has a yeast infection caused by Malssezia. She probably has ear infections caused by the same fungus. The tar shampoo will help but she probably needs to be on an oral antifungal medication and topical medication and cleaner for her ears. Your veterinarian may have an antifungal shampoo that would be more effective than the tar shampoo. Which every you use, leave it on for several minutes contact time and bathing in cool water will also help relieve itching. Oral antifungal medication will likely be needed for weeks or even months. Antibiotics may be necessary for secondary bacterial infections.

@CatWhisperer - No ear infection, he checked her ears at last month's check but will make sure he checks again. Thank you
@mixedUPturk - Agree, I'm paying the bill so do as I ask

Will insist on it tomorrow cause now that "crusting" issue. Laying in bed with her last night felt what I thought another "lump" behind her ear, turned the light on to check. It was like on her chest. I got the Vetericyn, gently removed the crusty fur to expose redness. This is an infection! I don't need to be a Vet to know :mad:

We got several issues going on - Sebaceous Cyst, Witch Hazel relieves the itching. Flaky skin/Seborrhea caused by the gland. Now this rawness which is probably a secondary infection :mad:

Last month when I took her in, showed him how she was bald under by her tummy. He said it's from laying on the ground ... Mia has a dog bed in the living room & a full sized love seat she lounges on at night plus sleeps in bed with me. However I let it pass cause never saw any issues to cause it.

IF I don't get results, it's time to look for another Vet ... In fact I'm on that search now.
Added pic of her tummy area & the rawness I found yesterday ... It's kind gross so kept it at thumbnail size.

EDITED: @CatWhisperer - Looked up Malassezia on the VCA website @Texas Kiki linked me up to. Sounds like what Mia has except the ear infection but never the less, I'm going to insist on blood test & skin scraping, impression smear, cotton swap sample, acetate tape prep or a skin biopsy.

Thank you all for all your help here, I really appreciate it. :hugs:hugs:hugs

Attachments

• 20190823_145243.jpg
    20190823_145243.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190823_145248.jpg
    20190823_145248.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Texas Kiki WE all do at this point.
Today couldn't come soon enough, now counting down. The "bad" part is that the crusty, raw sores have kind of healed using the Vetericyn but I got pictures. She was so miserable, I had to continue with treatment. Sebaceous Cyst still present but the "old" ones not bothering her. I can tell when a new one is coming in, she starts scratching in the area ... So then it's a Easter Egg hunt locating the "pimple" for treatment with Witch Hazel, couple treatments it flakes & gone. Thinking the Coal Tar helping with the smell and flaking but YES she needs antibiotics. Will let you all know what transpires after her Vet visit :fl Thank you all so very much for all your research :hugs

Just got a call from the Vet Office, Vet said to save me from an office visit he'd give me the Gentacalm as he will be in emergency surgery. Explained to the Tech there's new issue that started & I need antibiotics ... Got put on hold. My appointment is now at 2:30 or I could go in at 1:30 and wait :rolleyes:

Just got a call from the Vet Office, Vet said to save me from an office visit he'd give me the Gentacalm as he will be in emergency surgery. Explained to the Tech there's new issue that started & I need antibiotics ... Got put on hold. My appointment is now at 2:30 or I could go in at 1:30 and wait :rolleyes:
Looks like you can wait in the office or at home.
I'd choose home.

Back
Top Bottom