Canker not going away!

Icymeteus12

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
I have a 3 y.o. Rooster who had a yellowish patch at the back of his throat a month ago. It started out small and I was only able to notice it when one day he didn't crow.

I took him to a Vet and he gave him metronidazole 100mg twice a day, some electrolytes, and cotrim. I gave him the medicine for almost 10 days but the canker kept growing and he became lethargic and lost his appetite (though he was still active). I took him to the vet again and they had to completely remove the canker.

I continued giving him the medications afterwards but two days after the surgery, the yellow patch was back.

I'm not sure if the diagnosis is wrong or if the medication is not working since there are no other symptoms. He alternates between runny poop and solid poop.

If someone could help me with this disease I would really appreciate it as there aren't any other vets near me.

I heard that Acidfied Copper Sulfate gets rid of canker.
(Hopefully I remembered what it is correctly)
What's the recommended dosage for a Rooster that's almost 1 Kg? I'm hand feeding him at the moment so I'll have to administer the water through a dropper as he's to scared to eat by himself due to the recent surgery.

What is your location? It's important so we understand your climate and what insects may be spreading pathogens to chickens.

It would help to see a closeup photo of the canker so we know it's not something else. Vets can make mistakes.
I'm from Pakistan. The Rooster is a pet and has access to small garden for free ranging and has another hen as well. I haven't seen the rooster consume a lot of insects as compared to the hen as he's more interested in grains and fruits.

I have attached the image of his throat and his recent poop. The right side of his face also appears to have a little swelling and his eyelid is also partially closed.

He gets sleepy but will run and jump if approached (didn't have this behavior when he was fine). For now, I'm giving him Ibuprofen and Vitamins as Metronidazole and other antibiotics didn't work for almost a month.

Attachments

• IMG-20230918-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230918-WA0003.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20230918-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230918-WA0001.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 25
The photo of the throat is not very clear. Am I seeing canker at the back of his throat?

I need to see a photo of his face where the canker is. Or is this confined to his throat?

The poop shows that he isn't eating as well as he should. That's why it's green.

If you wish to try the copper sulfate, first purchase the copper crystals. Copper sulfate pentahydrate. You will not be mixing the blue crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solution which you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the rooster's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the rooster to drink the same as he always drinks his water.

The photo of the throat is not very clear. Am I seeing canker at the back of his throat?

I need to see a photo of his face where the canker is. Or is this confined to his throat?

The poop shows that he isn't eating as well as he should. That's why it's green.

If you wish to try the copper sulfate, first purchase the copper crystals. Copper sulfate pentahydrate. You will not be mixing the blue crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solution which you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the rooster's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the rooster to drink the same as he always drinks his water.
Thanks for the instructions, I'll create this solution for the rooster.

I have attached more clear pictures now. The canker is only in the throat. I do not see any patches in the mouth or below the throat.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230918-112232.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230918-112232.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 16
  • VideoCapture_20230918-112254.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230918-112254.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom