Canning Recipes 2008

Kruczek Family Farm's Apple Butter (farm's previous name was Harvest Hill, as on the label)

AppleButter06.jpg

Makes 9 1/2 pints!

6 lbs (18 cups) apples, cored & sliced
5 cups spiced apple cider (Knudsen's is great)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4 cups sugar

Combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Return to boil. Reduce heat. Cook uncovered until broken down and smooth.

Add to sterilized jars with sterilized lids and rings. Waterbath can for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Kruczek Family Farm's Italian Prune Jam (you can also use regular plums)

Makes 9 pints!

24 cups Italian prunes, quartered and pitted (leave skin on to make the jam a brilliant red color)
4 tsp. orange zest
1 & 1/3 cups orange juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
5 cups sugar
3 boxes of pectin

Combine. Cook uncovered on med-low heat for 45 minutes, allowing ingredients break down. Add pectin. Cook until thick.

Add to sterilized jars with sterilized lids and rings. Waterbath can for 15 minutes.

I spent the day making Apple Butter in the crockpot. The amounts aren't exact (I never follow the exact recipe) but here is the basics.

10 cups applesauce (we made from fresh apples)
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cinammon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup honey
Juice to thin as desired (we used one of dd's fruit juice boxes)

Mix all into crockpot. Start on high till it's bubbling hot then turn down to low and let cook for 12-15 hrs. Leave off the lid...so to keep it from splattering we gave it a tin-foil tent and put newspapers under crockpot to catch splatter.
To can you follow the typical water bath method.

I love to see new ideas too. We start on the cabbage tomorrow (making slaw). I'll post that later if any are interested.
I've been freezing most of my fruit so that I can make my little one slushes. It's a great way to get alot of fiber down her quickly (and easily).
Most of the veggies haven't came in yet to start canning. Oh and I froze a bunch of bell pepper today too.

Good for you. We are just starting into the real harvest season. I could only pick strawberries and sugar snap peas today. We are waiting on the first zucchini, which will be ready in about 3 days!
tongue.png

Quote:
I just noticed that one of my zucchini's is about three inches long
ya.gif
. So far nothing on my tomato plants except several blossoms. I haven't seen any bee's though...so I'm a little worried. Have you any bee's in the Gorge DC?

We are getting our first squash, zuchinni, and tomatoes. Not enough of anything to can or freeze yet though. I normally freeze my squash, does anyone can theirs? How does that work out? I know with freezing all I can do is make casseroles with it.

Raspberry Jam topping

My husband doesn't have a sweet tooth, but I make him an ice cream topping that he loves. I also add it to my home made yogurt MissPrissy so kindly provided the recipe for.

4 cups fresh raspberries - mashed up
7 cups sugar

Mix mashed berries (I just use a potato masher) and sugar in a large pot and put on stove burner. Turn the heat to medium low and stir as the sugar begins to melt. Once liquid, turn heat to high and bring to a boil - stirring the entire time. When it reaches a rolling boil. Remove from heat, ladle into canning jars and water bath process for 10 minutes at rolling boil.

If this is too sweet for you, decrease the sugar to taste. Great as a topping for ice cream, yogurt, pancakes, etc.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom