It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Ooh! A soup thread!
Soup is my love language... Drives my daughters crazy. I think I've made soup out of everything.

This year. I've been big into tomato soup subbing half the tomato for butternut squash as I got a glut of it out of the garden. I love it.

(Also works great in Curry and butternut squash pie beats pumpkin in my mind)

I like a soup made with coconut milk, pieces of chicken, ginger, hot peppers, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, lemon grass, lime. It's my take on the Thai soup Tom Kha Gai. If you use the really hot little peppers (or hot pepper flakes) it will clear out a stuffy head and warm you right up. Lemon grass grows really easily in a pot inside over winter as it's rather hard to find to buy around where I live. You can use lemon balm herb as an alternative (as it overwinters well outdoors in northern climates) for a similar flavor if you don't have lemon grass.

I like All recipes anytime I have not made it.​

Jamaican Oxtail​

• 2 ½ pounds oxtail
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon garlic and herb seasoning (such as Spike®)
  • 1 teaspoon browning sauce (such as Grace®)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 bunch fresh thyme
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place oxtail in a shallow dish. Combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar, garlic and herb seasoning, browning sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Rub both sides of oxtail with soy sauce mixture; discard any excess.

Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Sear oxtail in hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate and set aside.

Sauté carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the same skillet until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef broth, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Add oxtail, with its juices, and butter. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until oxtail is fork tender, about 3 hours.
Uncover skillet and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces and thickens, about 5 minutes.

i

I like All recipes anytime I have not made it.​

Jamaican Oxtail​

• 2 ½ pounds oxtail
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon garlic and herb seasoning (such as Spike®)
  • 1 teaspoon browning sauce (such as Grace®)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 bunch fresh thyme
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place oxtail in a shallow dish. Combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar, garlic and herb seasoning, browning sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Rub both sides of oxtail with soy sauce mixture; discard any excess.

Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Sear oxtail in hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate and set aside.

Sauté carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the same skillet until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef broth, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Add oxtail, with its juices, and butter. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until oxtail is fork tender, about 3 hours.
Uncover skillet and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces and thickens, about 5 minutes.
I am so hungry for this right now, can almost smell it simmering. mmmmmm!

I have some oxtail in the freezer. Made some osso bucco with it and found I was not fond of oxtail. Osso bucco is much better with beef shanks. But, maybe I'll research oxtail soups. My favorite way to search for a recipe is to type in "best" before it. I've gotten some really great recipes that way.

Back
Top Bottom