Can't push in horizontal nipples into PVC pipe... help please!

jbher

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Hudson, WI
I have 5 soloway horizontal nipples and I made my waterer yesterday. I'm using a 1" PVC pipe and I've seen others use the same thing with the same nipples. I drilled the holes exactly the size I read that I should (3/8). For the life of me (and my husband) - cannot get them in! We push and turn and push until our thumbs feel like they're going to fall off haha. Should I just drill the hole a little bigger? We can get them in half way and then they'll pop back out... so I really think the hole must be too small.

The problem y'all are having here is that PVC is too hard of a material to self thread the HN in, it has little to do with the curvature of the pipe cross section.....
.....it works fine on softer materials like HDPE(5 gal buckets or various bottles and jugs) ....
but PVC is too hard a material for the HN to self thread and needs to have threads cut into a properly sized/drilled hole with a 1/8" NPT* tap.

Or you can buy fittings that already have 1/8 NPT threads in them...the HN's will fit perfectly into those.

*National Pipe Thread is a tapered thread...different than a straight thread that you see on your typical bolt.

Last edited:
Jen,

I have not used these nipples a lot yet, but I have started testing them. One thing I noticed is the end that is inserted into the water source is actually threaded. So you push it as far as you can, then try twisting it in further. I know on my test setup, that is what I did. The nipples did not go all the way in flush, but do not leak and have not come out after about 1 week of use with the 8 birds that are using it.

You mileage may very and I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will happen along.

Good luck

Jen,

I have not used these nipples a lot yet, but I have started testing them. One thing I noticed is the end that is inserted into the water source is actually threaded. So you push it as far as you can, then try twisting it in further. I know on my test setup, that is what I did. The nipples did not go all the way in flush, but do not leak and have not come out after about 1 week of use with the 8 birds that are using it.

You mileage may very and I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will happen along.

Good luck 
Ok that's good to know yours aren't flush and don't leak. Maybe I just need to try to get them in as far as I can and then see what happens...

Using some clamps I got one flush but as soon as I release the clamp it pops out. I think I'm going to run to the store to find a T that I can screw it into. I think I've seen others do this too.

Back
Top Bottom