Caponization

Quote:
I know that his is an old thread but a fascinating one to me. My grandpa did this when I was a kid and I would love to find someone to do some capons for me. What I remember most about these birds is the size of them and the fact that they made the best mommies. They could set on amwhole bunch of eggs at once and they were very protective. My grandpa always used them for body hens.

Quote:
What.???? I have NEVER heard od sedating a little bull calf before castration.. Just flip them over.. Straddle them and cut!! I have never seen a cat or dog being done but you would assume they are given a local... Females anyway.. I would bet the boys don't always get any sort of anesthesia . But I can say that calves don't get anything.

Dogs and cats are put under anesthesia for spaying and neutering. If you had ever seen this done, you would never want one done without it. Spaying is a deep process and neutering is much more involved than you think.

No, dogs and cats experience pain VERY different than chickens.. To give you an example;

My dog was bit by another dog once, and needed seven staples. She was clearly in pain, shaking, whining, refusing to move, showing teeth at dogs that came close. The wounds were not even bleeding much, they just clearly hurt a LOT.

One of my chickens decided to tease one of my dogs by trying to peck at her. She responded by ripping a bunch of skin and feathers away from it's chest. The chicken squealed until it was let go (and by that I mean until the skin came away) and five minutes later showed no sign of the fact that it had a gaping open wound on it's chest. I isolated it and treated with warm water and iodine. It freaked out until I gave it a buddy to keep it company; it was more upset about being alone then ripped open by a dog. I looked at the wound today, and it's a good 2" square on a bird only 2lbs.

It'd be like having the whole top left quarter of your chest skin ripped off but the bird did NOT care!

The conclusion? It's just not the same. This bird is and has been since 5 minutes after having 1/4 of it's chest ripped off acting completely normal. It was still bleeding while running in circles to ask for food and leaping up on it's box to try to fly out of the cage, etc. with 1/4 of it's chest skin missing. It's now well on the mend, missing 1/4 of it's chest skin with nothing but 10% iodine, warm water and a clean environment. The bird is healthy as any of the others I have, you could not pick it out of a crowd.

With this in mind, if you get good at caponizing there's no reason it wouldn't be a fairly stress-free and nearly painless, easily recovered from operation for a roo to be caponized. It can't be worse than having 1/4 of your chest ripped off and that doesn't seem to phase chickens at all apparently!

You are absolutely right. My big tom turkey got his side ripped open and he just stood there while I stitched him up. He didn't even seem to notice.

Like banding a Kid... It bucks around for 10 minutes, then i guess it goes numb. They fall off a week later.

You people must be still living in the dark ages if you don't think these animals are feeling pain. They don't whine and cry like people because that would set them apart for predators to pick out more easily. 20 years ago people thought babies didn't experience pain like adults and they were circumcised without benefit o of anesthesia. Today, MOST people know better, at least physicians do thankfully. Just as veterinarians are trained to recognize the signs of pain in animals and use analgesics and anesthetics appropriately. You can convince yourselves that it doesn't hurt to make yourself feel better about the brutality you are comitting , but just like cesarean sections in the Middle Ages many will survive in spite of what you do.

You people must be still living in the dark ages if you don't think these animals are feeling pain. They don't whine and cry like people because that would set them apart for predators to pick out more easily. 20 years ago people thought babies didn't experience pain like adults and they were circumcised without benefit o of anesthesia. Today, MOST people know better, at least physicians do thankfully. Just as veterinarians are trained to recognize the signs of pain in animals and use analgesics and anesthetics appropriately. You can convince yourselves that it doesn't hurt to make yourself feel better about the brutality you are comitting , but just like cesarean sections in the Middle Ages many will survive in spite of what you do.

Different criiters feel pain differently. I had a large tom turkey that sliced his side open. He just stood there while I stitched him up. Didn't flinch at all. And I notice my dogs recover from surgeries a lot faster than I do.

Back
Top Bottom