Cardboard box brooders?

I brooded mine in a baby pool last year (cuz we had one on hand) and cardboard boxes this year (cuz we had several on hand). I lined the bottom of each brooder with a plastic trash bag and then covered in papertowels for almost a week. Today I switched to shavings, just cuz it was time
sickbyc.gif
I also added an extra box to the layers as well, I cut out holes on each side and attached with tape. Its hysterical, the chicks go in and out of the "door" just fine, but run...like something's chasing them
lol.png

Layer Brooder
CIMG2978.jpg

CIMG2979.jpg

Meat Brooder
CIMG2981.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I will eventually have to use a watermelon box. When will my grocery store in MA have them?

I went to our local Sam's club & they had big "watermelon boxes" That oranges came in. They where happy to give me one.

I get mine from Sam's also. They hold 100 really great for the first 3 wks, then I split them up into 2 boxes from there on. I also used the really cheap shower liners you can get for about $2 in th bottom.

Warning be careful, when using heatlamp with cardboard box brooder. keep pets away...anything knock the lamp down, sure to be a FIRE...

Here is my (nearly) free cardboard brooder......

After one week in the plastic Rubbermaid tote, mine go here.

Currently (winter), mine is in the attached garage. It is 6' x 8' and 3' tall. I used big boxes from the lumber yard and furniture store. I also covered the floor with flat pieces that were available at the lumber yard. The only thing I replace is the cardboard flooring, with each new group of hatches. (Well, of course I change the pine litter, too.) But, the box sides works great. I have the heat lamps attached to the 2x4. The 2x4 is on saw horses (3 foot tall). I did use a large nail into the 2x4 to attached loosely to the saw horses, so it won't fall off of them.

I made a door (foreground) with the hinge being a corner fold of a box. I also used Duct Tape to attach the large boxes together.

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_002.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_004.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_003.jpg

31282_brooder_box_in_garage_005.jpg

I use a huge cardboard watermelon box from walmart (or any grocery store) we have a wire framed top for it. I set the heat lamp right on the wire and it stays a perfect temp in there for them. I used them two years and then toss them and get new. Never a problem yet
big_smile.png

I use cardboard for brooders. I first start off with a smaller one that opens up to a large sort of "run" of corrugated paper, then as the chicks get to a month old, they're allowed to explore outdoors in a small run, and run back into their original cardboard brooder (with a little door on it) whenever they need to. As for seperate chick batches being around, I then seperate it down to two different boxes, one for the older chicks and one for the younger ones. The older ones still get freedom, and the new ones get a taller box with a bit of mesh wiring over the top, just incase the older chicks decide to fly on in. Most of the time they're pretty good about that though.
smile.png

As for cleaning and all, I only use one box per batch. I clean it out regularly and make sure no water spills in it, as that causes staining and icky messes. I always make sure the boxes I use are tough, thick cardboard, and the box is decently tall and put together.
smile.png

I was talking to someone yesterday who was a poultry farmer in his younger days. He said when you use cardboard boxes for brooders you need to make sure you round the corners off with paper or something because chicks sometimes get stuck in the corners and smother. Has anyone else heard this or is anyone doing this?

Quote:
Yes, I have heard that. I imagine that could happen. I am thinking it is probably when they all run and huddle in the corner, like when I go in to feed them. I hope that never happens to me, but I am sure it is a possibility.

I did that!
big_smile.png

I put paper towelling down and then the bedding. It worked very well.
smile.png
I had them in a box for about 2 weeks and then added another box to that with duct tape and they were in there for about another 2 weeks. All went well.
big_smile.png

superchemicalgirl wrote:
I was talking to someone yesterday who was a poultry farmer in his younger days. He said when you use cardboard boxes for brooders you need to make sure you round the corners off with paper or something because chicks sometimes get stuck in the corners and smother. Has anyone else heard this or is anyone doing this?

I heard that, and I also rounded the corners. I got thick sheets of cardstock paper and taped it to each corner.
tongue.png
Make sure chicks can't hop over them and get stuck in between the paper and cardboard though!​

Last edited:
The 1st 2 weeks I had 14 chicks in a plastic storage bin. I wanted them contained and on sand ( good poop & no spradle leg).

48259_hatchday1a.jpg

Yesterday (2 wks) they went into a 5' cardboard box with wood shavings and then sand around thier food.
48259_brooderbox32010.jpg

I'm also using a heat emitter, with a reflector, but you need to be just as careful with them as any other heat source.

Brenda

Back
Top Bottom