care to share your silkie crosses?

Quote:
you can actually sex them at hatch if you use silkie roo over any type of hen.

Thanks for confirming my "Sex Linked" Theory by using Silky Roos

What if the cross was the other way around ? Should they all be dark skinned then ? .

as you already know, Sex links can only work one way... Silkie roos are id+/id+ Fm/Fm. cross to a Hen Id/- fm+/fm+ hens this will produce id+/- Fm/fm+ hens and Roos will be Id/id+ Fm/fm+ Id will restrict expression of Fibromelanotic(Fm) leaving boys with white/yellow skin at hatch and girls with Black skin at hatch., How does it look the other way around?

Clear skined Roo with clear shanks(Id/Id fm+/fm+) cross to a Silkie hen id+/- Fm/Fm.. this will produce Id/id+ Fm/fm+ clear skin, clear skin shanks roosters. and Id/- Fm/fm+ girls with clear skin and clear shank girls..

Quote:
Black Copper Marans Carry sex linked id+/id+ so if you cross it to a silkie hens wich are also id+/- and Fm/Fm this will produce ALL chicks with black skin.. Mottled Cochins carry sex linked Id/Id and all pullets will be Id/- so no black skins here...

on my sex linked broiler project in my head(yeah too much free time to think) I would use a very Large silkie cross rooster(silkiex black jersey Giant) to a few feed restricted CornishX hens.. this cross will give me Black skin hens which I will be culling as layers pullet at hatch and keep the boys for broilers..

Wow. Ok so is there a way to tell if a roo had sexlinked id+/id+ ( by the way I didn't learn with these genetic symbols and I don't used them when explaining so I don't know what most of them stand for), but is there a way to tell if a roo has it by looking at it ? What physical feature does this gene give ?
And say I produced a dark skin roo from a BCM or similar roo on Silked hens, could I then use him with clear skin hens in a sexlink cross ? Is that basicly what you are planning to do with the Silkie X JG roo ?

anyone have silkie X d'uccle mixes to share?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes.. id+/id+ roosters have dark shanks(dark green or dark blue depending on skin color)

when roosters have sex linked id+/id+ the color will vary acording to skin color and on which "e" allele they are based.

white skin, id+/id+ wild type(e+)= Dark blue shanks. a dutch bantam as an example
BlueDutch2.jpg

white skin Id/Id Wild Type(e+)= white shanks. a Black Breasted Red OEG as an example
BlackBreastedRedOEG1.jpg

yellow skin id+/id+ Extended Black(E/E)= Black shanks with yellow soles on their feet.. example is a Black Jersey Giant

Quote:
that's correct. that's what I was basicaly trying to do, but on the first cross of silkiex BJG all of my roos will be Fm/fm+ meaning that only 50% of the females hatch will be showing Fibromelanotic skin, so that will not be good enough, so a F1xF1 cross using the best largest roo and hen from the silkiexBJG cross, could give me 100% Fm/Fm id+/id+ rooters..

Last edited:
Here's my one and only silkie cross. He was a little accident
hide.gif
But we still love him
smile.png
His mother is the buff silkie pictured and his father was an silver duckwing OEGB.

18360_silkie_mix_105.jpg

18360_silkie_mix_113.jpg

Here's a young pic of him:
18360_silkie_cross_025.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes.. id+/id+ roosters have dark shanks(dark green or dark blue depending on skin color)

when roosters have sex linked id+/id+ the color will vary acording to skin color and on which "e" allele they are based.

white skin, id+/id+ wild type(e+)= Dark blue shanks. a dutch bantam as an example
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/BlueDutch2.jpg

white skin Id/Id Wild Type(e+)= white shanks. a Black Breasted Red OEG as an example
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/BlackBreastedRedOEG1.jpg

yellow skin id+/id+ Extended Black(E/E)= Black shanks with yellow soles on their feet.. example is a Black Jersey Giant

Quote:
that's correct. that's what I was basicaly trying to do, but on the first cross of silkiex BJG all of my roos will be Fm/fm+ meaning that only 50% of the females hatch will be showing Fibromelanotic skin, so that will not be good enough, so a F1xF1 cross using the best largest roo and hen from the silkiexBJG cross, could give me 100% Fm/Fm id+/id+ rooters..

Very interesting, thanks for explaining

I love silkie crosses, which is why I have a partridge silkie roo for my flock.

This little darling is one I got from Sonoran Silkies. She's a (Silkie x cochin)x Silkie:

78433_angelina_022.jpg

Back
Top Bottom