Carnivores Waking Up

Hi Tim. These are just a hobby though I do sell extras when I have them.

Looks like you have a drosera capensis. Its actually a tropical sundew and doesnt require a dormancy. You could just take it in the house when it gets too cold and grow it under a light. Congrats on the leaf strikes!

Thanks. haha I actually grow them inside throughout the year. I live at the coast so the weather during winter is really bad. And today we have east-wind which means a sand storm and about 25 degrees celcius even though it's still winter. The weather in this town is way too unpredictable to keep my carnivorous plants outside. But I'm pretty happy with the way they're doing at the moment.
In your pictures it looks like you have a garden full of carnivorous plants. Do you live by a bog or did you create your own?

Just checked out this thread, and I must say, I wish I hadn't. I DON'T NEED AN OTHER HOBBY WITH MORE LIFE FORMS TO TEND! Nice looking plants you all have posted. Last poster mentioned a bog garden. So, Eric, and anyone else who might have experience: I have a low wet spot in an area which will eventually be expanded into more front lawn. the soil is black humus. I was thinking of bringing in loam to level out the area around it, adding peat and what ever else to that spot and planting a bunch of moisture loving plants there. Any thoughts on what might grow well in my zone 4 area, or would it end up being more work than it's worth, in which case, I could dump a load of pea gravel and put in some drainage tile leading to the ditch???

If you want to plant carnivorous plants I could help but theyre the only plants I grow besides random plants like ant plants, amorphophallus and star cactus.

@lazy gardener sounds like you got a spot perfect for a carnivorous bog garden. Only if it had a sturdy greenhouse on top. Otherwise mint, potatoes and running squash will do great in that spot.

Back
Top Bottom