Carpenter Bees in coop

I smack them down so the chooks can eat them. Filling the holes works for the females. Natural pyrethrum will kill them as well. I am growing the daisies this year to make my own pesticide. Carpenter bees can make a structure unstable so its best to get rid of them around your home and pens.

Quote:
I like to use a badminton racket, lighter than a tennis racket. Fun! And satisfying.
lol.png

We use the electric ones, It's a challenge to get good grill marks on them before they explode

Quote:
that's the kind of treated wood I am talking about too. that liquid that seeps out is nothing but excess water from the treating process. Once that wood is totally dried out (which takes a few years), bees will eat it up. I have a barn, fence posts, shed, porch, etc. that are all pressure treated lumber and they have bee holes in them. Maybe it's because I live in the south and the bees are more aggressive here...I don't know. They sure drive me nuts though.

Our pens are built out of treated lumber as well. We have this same problem. I have heard that this type of bee doesn't sting people, but Im not sure. I know I dont like them buzzing around my head when I am trying to tend my birds. And I dont like them eating up our hard earned money that was spent to build the pens sturdy enough to keep predators out. They have made homes in every one of our pens, so I am constantly swatting while trying to feed up. The feed pitcher works great for killing them, it just doesnt get the whole crew lol.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll try the caulk first and if that doesn't work, I'll have to pull out a raquet.
wink.png

Someone I work with suggested a bee trap, then someone else said they tried that and it just attracted more bees.
roll.png

We had a big problem last year with them moving into our homemade barn. Here's a youtube video of what we used, "Bee Butter." Great stuff!!!! No, calking the holes will not work. The hatchlings just dig a new exit out when they hatch.

I ordered this guy's traps too. But we have yet to get one in the trap, so I can't recommend the traps. But the butter, yes, yes, and yes.

Here's a video of the product in use and we experienced watching the buggers die as in the video, yipee!

I think you can order the butter from bestbeetrap.com.

Connie

So, if I stun the carpenter bees, the chickens might eat them?
I had carpenter bees really bad a couple of years ago in a pressure treated archway I had. I ultimately had to pull it out and made an archway out of metal trellises.
I have 9 acres of trees, so no way I can permanently get rid of them. I just don't want them near us as my boyfriend is allergic and I want them destroying our buildings and coops. Last year they started on a shed.

Back
Top Bottom