Carpet In My Brooder ?????

brahmapapa

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Poestenkill NY (Averill Park address)
I am trying something new, at least new to me. In the past when i have my peeps brooding within my living space i have always been at least aware of the constant ratt a tatt tatt when the brooder floor was somewhat solid. I have also had an occasional spraddled leg chick. i desided to try short pile commercial carpet, you know the type, very short tight looped nylon, avail most places. I bought mine as a 5"x7" rem. at Wally world. I brought it home, measured it and cut it to size for my brooder. I used a hot glue gun to hot glue stabalize the cut edges kind of working it into the edge fibers so they couldn't unravel. As we speak its in place with my peeps sound asleep on it. they get great traction on it so the leg spraddle will not be a problem any more. The crumbles lay right up on top of it and they have no problem picking food from it. The things i think im going to like about it are that its absorbent but should be relatively easy to vacuum and let dryout and clean.there is no more pecking noise at all. I made two so one can dry and be cleaned while the other is in place. So far im seeing no down side to this, if i have any problems ill let you know, If anyone has any suggestions ill be happy to hear them.

Yep. See a problem.... No way to sterilize it. I use terrycloth towels, tripled for comfort. I replace them daily or every other day with new ones. I have 4 sets. Wash with bleach and oxi right away after removal. Overdry them in the dryer. Let them cool. Fold and put in ziplock container next to brooder.

Is it cheap enough to throw away after a couple of days and replace with fresh carpet? I was thinking along the lines of the other poster; it's going to get pretty nasty pretty quickly with all that liquidy chick poo getting down into the carpet fibers.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if you could throw the carpet sections into your washing machine with some detergent and disinfectant.

Back
Top Bottom