Caruncles on back of neck?

ruthhope

Free Ranging
Aug 16, 2021
St Augustine, FL
I have an all male flock, mainly muscovy drakes and a little crested pekin that thinks he's a muscovy.

The muscovy drakes get on ok, with only occasional bickering, and I am not sure who is "top duck" . The daft little pekin thinks he is top duck, but that's another story and he is certainly not top of the pecking order.

One of the boys, a white muscovy, has had disagreements with one of the others but no major fights or upsets that I have sern or heard, and they all hang out together in the back garden.

I was surprised that the white muscovy has increasingly obvious bare red patches on his neck. Surprised as in the bickering I have seen, he is the aggressor. Today, I found that another drake has a small red place on the back of his neck: when I examined it, it was not a wound where feathers had been pulled out. It was a very healthy looking caruncle. So I caught the white muscovy who isn't fond of being handled, and took a good look at him. He too doesn't have bald patches from feathers being pulled out . He has lots of very healthy looking carruncles on the back of his neck.

Are back of neck carruncles common? Normal?

I have an all male flock, mainly muscovy drakes and a little crested pekin that thinks he's a muscovy.

The muscovy drakes get on ok, with only occasional bickering, and I am not sure who is "top duck" . The daft little pekin thinks he is top duck, but that's another story and he is certainly not top of the pecking order.

One of the boys, a white muscovy, has had disagreements with one of the others but no major fights or upsets that I have sern or heard, and they all hang out together in the back garden.

I was surprised that the white muscovy has increasingly obvious bare red patches on his neck. Surprised as in the bickering I have seen, he is the aggressor. Today, I found that another drake has a small red place on the back of his neck: when I examined it, it was not a wound where feathers had been pulled out. It was a very healthy looking caruncle. So I caught the white muscovy who isn't fond of being handled, and took a good look at him. He too doesn't have bald patches from feathers being pulled out . He has lots of very healthy looking carruncles on the back of his neck.

Are back of neck carruncles common? Normal?
It's normal as they get older to show more red as you are observing. It's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom