Cat food for chickens?

I've been feeding Game bird feed to all my new chicks. It is 25 to 29% protein, or if your lucky even higher. I see a big difference in chicks raised on this, larger legs, thicker feathering and faster growth. If you can find a meat-based protein it is even better.

I have a blind 9 month old silkie cockerel who is confined for the winter in a 4x4 brooder box. He has eaten only 29% meat based protein Game bird starter along with the chicks since October. He is gorgeous, his feathers are shiny and full. He is fully conditioned to show...he just isn't show quality. I kinda used him as my test subject to see what the results of higher protein conditioning would be. I'm convinced it works. Game bird feed is only a couple dollars more and it is safer than cat food. Perhaps that is another option you could try.
smile.png

I've been feeding Game bird feed to all my new chicks. It is 25 to 29% protein, or if your lucky even higher. I see a big difference in chicks raised on this, larger legs, thicker feathering and faster growth. If you can find a meat-based protein it is even better.

I have a blind 9 month old silkie cockerel who is confined for the winter in a 4x4 brooder box. He has eaten only 29% meat based protein Game bird starter along with the chicks since October. He is gorgeous, his feathers are shiny and full. He is fully conditioned to show...he just isn't show quality. I kinda used him as my test subject to see what the results of higher protein conditioning would be. I'm convinced it works. Game bird feed is only a couple dollars more and it is safer than cat food. Perhaps that is another option you could try.
smile.png
Mine are looking gorgeous also after eating dried kitten food.
wee.gif

My chickens get a medium supplement of low quality cat food every day, and they are like crack addicts to get it. The peacock also is very fond of his morning cat food supplement. It simulates the insect/carnivore aspect of a wild chicken diet and it seems the birds really thrive on it.

Last week we had single digit temps so I decided to give the crew some warm oatmeal for breakfast. I added some yogurt and a small can of cat food. They went crazy!!
ep.gif
We got four eggs that day. Most we've had in a day in two months! This may be a coincidence but they've had that breakfast 3 times now and each day we got 4 eggs! I'll keep giving them this special treat and maybe one of these days ALL the freeloaders will lay!
fl.gif

I am not sure if this applies to chickens but I do know that with dogs, horses and the like when you feed too much protein it will actually cause more harm then good. Their bodies can only use so much protein and the left over just goes out the other end and muscle problems are one thing to watch out for. Like I said I don't know if it applies to the chickens but I don't think I would be feeding only cat food or dog food to them.
Chickens I would think would require different amounts of vitamins or minerals then a dog or cat. Someone please correct me if I am wrong tho...

I have hand raised dozens of baby birds that have fallen from the nest with dry cat food soaked in water. They all matured wonderfully even from tiny featherless creatures. It seems the perfect diet for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom