Cat With Bloody Patches Of Hairless Skin! Disease or Injury? **GRAPHIC PICS**

Quote: Thanks for having an open enough mind to double check. It is very rare, so I'm not surprised it's not commonly heard of. You have to look back into 18th century texts to find any references to them, and even then they state they're quite rare.
Quote: Yes, I am aware of this. I believe they're mites, but the old name 'blue pigeon lice' is the only one I have come across for them.
Quote:
They're minute parasites that correspond to the 'blue pigeon lice' described by Juliette de Bairacli Levy in her book 'The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable'.

My searches for modern info on them also yielded nothing, but that doesn't change the fact that they are definitely not what feline lice were described as, and definitely were exactly what 'BPL' were described as.

It is not a disease, the parasites and their eggs were visible; just because something's rare doesn't mean that it does not exist.
Quote: Thanks, and I look forward to the update with the diagnosis. Best wishes with that. BPL are extremely rare but if it is that, don't worry, they're not hard to treat once you have identified them correctly. Hope it's nothing serious.

The vet said Feline Dermatitis and that in some cats, it can be an annual thing (Yay!?). She gave him a shot, some mite medicine (just in case, though she didn't seem to think that was it), and some cream to put on, and said that if it doesn't go away in two weeks, call.

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad it's nothing serious. Hope your cat gets better soon. There are immune boosting feeds for cats you might want to look into getting. But dermatitis can be caused by various things. Anyway, best wishes.

The vet said Feline Dermatitis and that in some cats, it can be an annual thing (Yay!?). She gave him a shot, some mite medicine (just in case, though she didn't seem to think that was it), and some cream to put on, and said that if it doesn't go away in two weeks, call.

I had the same problem with my male Bengal cat Leo. I happened to read an article in Cats Magazine about allergies to complex proteins. I switched him to Natural Balance limited ingredient diet dry cat food and it cleared up. It is the only food he can eat that doesn't make him start scratching himself raw.

Good luck with your kitty
smile.png

Well, the cream and shots didn't work.
The vet said that if they didn't, it was probably food allergies, so he's on a diet of rice, tuna, eggs, and whatever cat-appropriate leftovers we have. And, it worked! He's almost completely healed with no signs of new sores yet. Praying this works permanently.

Hope it works. There are increasing amounts of options if it doesn't. I've got my cats on grain free diets at the moment... The cat food I used to buy now has so much grain in it the sheep will eat it. Best wishes.

Yes, one of my Bengal cats is on a grain free diet (she is allergic-throws up the food) and the other Bengal on the Natural Balance limited ingredient diet. He is the one with skin issues. No other dry cat food on the market works for him.
wink.png

Glad your kitty is better!
clap.gif

Hello I noticed my cat has this red hairless patch (skin looks a bit raw). after I bathed her clump of fur came off (a circular patch). Can you let me know if your cat nemo ended up having ringworm or hotspot? very worried as I've never seen this. thanks
!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom