Unknown vent area related internal injury (pictures are unpleasant/graphic)

I'm not honestly 100% sure where she's been bleeding from but I know that at least some of it came out of that little red droplet shaped thing at the very bottom of the mass. I think that the necrotic skin doesn't bleed much but that something under/around it is bleeding. The outer necrotic layer is as hard as cooked meat.

Usually, when the inner tissue dries out and dies, there is little chance it is going to be good as new. The black hard stuff is dead. You can only wait and see if it falls away and the tissue underneath is able to heal and function properly.

White slimy wet stuff is a discharge that is composed of urates and mucous. It's normal for this situation.

It would be good to have a vet look at her and tell you if this is something she can recover from or not.

Usually, when the inner tissue dries out and dies, there is little chance it is going to be good as new. The black hard stuff is dead. You can only wait and see if it falls away and the tissue underneath is able to heal and function properly.

White slimy wet stuff is a discharge that is composed of urates and mucous. It's normal for this situation.

It would be good to have a vet look at her and tell you if this is something she can recover from or not.
Yeah, I'll have to see what my options are and if there's anyone that will even take her. All the vets somewhat near me have explicitly told me that they don't work on chickens or any livestock. I think the nearest vet that would maybe do it was about 2 hours drive from me (although I don't have a car right now) and was somewhat hard to get ahold of over the phone about a year ago when I looked into it. Still, it would be very nice to know if she actually had any chance at all.

Have you been giving her daily soaks and keeping the protrusion coated with oil, ointment, cream, etc. so it doesn't dry out?

The bleeding is not good, it's fresh blood and if it continues, she so tiny she will become very weak.
The crust looks like a buildup of material/debris and poop but without being able to actually see it in person and inspect is closely, that's just a guess on my part.

I'd coat that whole crusty area with oil. Maybe some mineral oil to see if that helps loosen it up. I suspect that the inner tissue is trying to retract and it's tearing.

Seeking vet care is the definitely recommended since this has been going on for a while. Sometimes it's not possible, so do the best you can, but get her soaking if she's not lethargic and keep that tissue and protrusion moist with ointment.

Have you been giving her daily soaks and keeping the protrusion coated with oil, ointment, cream, etc. so it doesn't dry out?

The bleeding is not good, it's fresh blood and if it continues, she so tiny she will become very weak.
The crust looks like a buildup of material/debris and poop but without being able to actually see it in person and inspect is closely, that's just a guess on my part.

I'd coat that whole crusty area with oil. Maybe some mineral oil to see if that helps loosen it up. I suspect that the inner tissue is trying to retract and it's tearing.

Seeking vet care is the definitely recommended since this has been going on for a while. Sometimes it's not possible, so do the best you can, but get her soaking if she's not lethargic and keep that tissue and protrusion moist with ointment.
Yeah I've been giving daily magnesium salt soaks. I didn't do one today since she had been so lethargic but tomorrow I will again. I've been doing the hydrocortisone cream daily as well which seemed to keep it somewhat moist, at least for a while. I might try to do that more often, at least until I can find some mineral oil. I do have quite a few types of oil but I'll grab some mineral oil tomorrow if I can if that's the best kind to use. Thanks for all the continued help, I'll keep posting updates when I can. I'm definitely going to try to see what I can do to get her to a vet but I kind of doubt I can make it all happen this week unless one of the ones near where I live has changed their policy or will make an exception. Until that I'll keep doing what I can for her, today she did show some real improvement from yesterday when she barely moved at all at the very least.

If you have coconut oil, you can use that. Oils or honey seem to stay on a little longer than creams.

I'm glad you got the meds today.

I do agree with, if she's really lethargic, then soaking her is not ideal, putting them a bath can send them over the edge. If she's lethargic, then try warm compresses with the epsom salts solution instead.

I'm really hoping she will improve, she's such a sweet tiny thing.

So another quick update: I've continued things mostly in the same way as before but yesterday I soaked her in a salt bath for about 45 minutes (much longer than ever before). The black part of the mass was just falling off in pieces (this was good I think) after about 25 minutes soaking so I decided to just keep her in the water since she looked comfortable and happy enough. I'll post some pictures later since now the majority of the crusty part is gone and you can see her living tissue now. It looks actually much healthier than I had thought that it was and I think you guys were right that keeping it moist was very important as the crusty scab was contracting around the healthy tissue as it dried out making her bothered by it and causing it to bleed. I'm gonna do another bath tonight for at least 20 minutes (if she looks up to it) and I'm going to keep up with the other stuff as I think we are making some progress. I'm also making calls to some of the closest vets today and going to try to make an appointment if I can find one that will see us. I'm getting a little more optimistic for her, I hope she can make it. Also, some more color has returned to her comb and her behavior is somewhat closer to normal.

Last edited:
When you crate her up for travel, don't skimp on old towels for thick bedding. Create padded sides with the towels so she is well supported to prevent sliding and tipping, thus controlling her stress.

Don't worry about food and water as it just makes a mess. Offer her water when you get there. Have spare old towels to replace the poopy towels for the return trip. Then offer food and water upon returning home.

Back
Top Bottom