Unknown vent area related internal injury (pictures are unpleasant/graphic)

MooseLovesTwigs

Chirping
May 24, 2020
Alamosa, Colorado
Type of bird: Serama chicken (with silkied feathers), very small around 12oz weight, 1+ year old.

Behavior: Picking with beak at vent area and beak has occasionally been bloody. Otherwise she's been pretty normal until today she seemed just a tiny bit more lethargic than average but still eating/drinking normally.

The actual description of the emergency/injury/whatever it is: When I inspected her vent up close I saw what I thought was a clump of poop stuck to her feathers but after soaking her in a Epsom salt water bath I noticed a significant amount of blood coming from her vent area. On closer inspection there was a dark, black colored mass that is partly a blood clot, some of her poop, and possibly some of her actual internal tissue (as in flesh). The first time this happened it was a rather small mass and after soaking her in a bath and cleaning the area I dried her off and put her back in her coop. I checked on it daily and after 3 or so days the mass had receded into her body or gone away somehow so I thought it was gone and must've been a prolapse (this was a guess). She seemed to be fine for about 2 months (until now). Also, I limited her light to less than 10 hours a day because I thought it might be a prolapse and wanted to give her reproductive system some time to heal. Anyways, fast forward to today when I decided to give her another bath since I thought she had some poop built up near her vent and was picking at the area again (this has happened without any bloody masses before so I assumed nothing was wrong besides that). When I looked, though, there was a larger amount of poop than I was expecting and after putting her in the water and gently trying to clean the area I noticed a significant amount of blood coming from the area. That is when I felt the actual mass attached to her vent area and realized that it was like the first time but this time it was larger (worse). Like the first time, it seemed to be a part of her body, not just poop. I called someone to help me clean the area and inspect her and was then able to do my best to remove any poop that wasn't part of the mass of flesh and soaked her for a little bit. The bleeding had only happened when I first put her in the water and luckily had stopped long before I dried her off.

Timeframe: This has happened before about 2 months ago and visibly went back to normal (on the outside at least) after treatment with Epsom salt baths. Now it's happening again and I'm treating it in the same way as before but feel like I'm just guessing as to what the issue is.

Other birds are not exhibiting similar symptoms (thankfully).

She has been eating/drinking normally (if not voraciously) throughout her whole life, now included.

Poop looks normal other than that it has sometimes stuck to her feathers around her vent.

Treatments so far: I've done Epsom salt soaks to clean the area. I've reduced amount of time she get's sunlight to less than 10 hours/day until a few weeks ago when I went back to normal daylight cycles. I've used a very small amount of an herbal powder directly on the bleeding part to help stop bleeding/pain/prevent further infection (it's made of mainly Osha Root (ligusticum porterii)) which is something I've used on myself and my animals for my whole life (although never for something quite like this). I've also been giving them a very small amount of oil of oregano in their water for general wellness but this is not specific to this injury or whatever it is.

Intent of treatment: I would love nothing more than for her to get better but I live many hours from any poultry vets and have little money (if any) to pay for their help even if there was one closer than that. For that reason I intend to see if anyone else knows more about what I'm facing here so that I can decide what there is to be done or if she is beyond anything I can do. I still don't really know what this even is, I've thought it could be a prolapse or other reproductive system related issue but I've also worried that it could be a tumor/disease or something more like that.

Where she lives: Since she can't survive the Colorado winters outside with our other chickens and since she is more of a pet than an egg producer she (and her sister) lives indoors in a large watering trough converted into a coop with hemp bedding that is right next to some large windows. She also gets outside into a hawk-proof chicken run/coop (a lightly used Eglu we found on craigslist) most days that are over 40 degrees F and that is where we plan to keep them during the summer.

Anyways, if anyone has any idea what this is or how you'd go about treating it then I would be very grateful to know about it. I'm worried that there won't be anything I can do to help her but will be glad just to know what may have happened. I'm not sure how I can sensor the pictures from unwary eyes or I would but beware they are very graphic and if there is a way to do this please let me know so I can. The pictures aren't very bright/clear but they were the best I could take with the sun going down fast and my helper needed to leave as well as the chicken was getting sick of being held/wet. I will try to reply as soon as I can to anyone here but I'm likely headed to bed soon and it may be later tomorrow before I can check up on this due to it still being during the week.

Thanks for taking the time to help,

- L

Attachments

• image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image15.jpeg
    image15.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image14.jpeg
    image14.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 20
Type of bird: Serama chicken (with silkied feathers), very small around 12oz weight, 1+ year old.

Behavior: Picking with beak at vent area and beak has occasionally been bloody. Otherwise she's been pretty normal until today she seemed just a tiny bit more lethargic than average but still eating/drinking normally.

The actual description of the emergency/injury/whatever it is: When I inspected her vent up close I saw what I thought was a clump of poop stuck to her feathers but after soaking her in a Epsom salt water bath I noticed a significant amount of blood coming from her vent area. On closer inspection there was a dark, black colored mass that is partly a blood clot, some of her poop, and possibly some of her actual internal tissue (as in flesh). The first time this happened it was a rather small mass and after soaking her in a bath and cleaning the area I dried her off and put her back in her coop. I checked on it daily and after 3 or so days the mass had receded into her body or gone away somehow so I thought it was gone and must've been a prolapse (this was a guess). She seemed to be fine for about 2 months (until now). Also, I limited her light to less than 10 hours a day because I thought it might be a prolapse and wanted to give her reproductive system some time to heal. Anyways, fast forward to today when I decided to give her another bath since I thought she had some poop built up near her vent and was picking at the area again (this has happened without any bloody masses before so I assumed nothing was wrong besides that). When I looked, though, there was a larger amount of poop than I was expecting and after putting her in the water and gently trying to clean the area I noticed a significant amount of blood coming from the area. That is when I felt the actual mass attached to her vent area and realized that it was like the first time but this time it was larger (worse). Like the first time, it seemed to be a part of her body, not just poop. I called someone to help me clean the area and inspect her and was then able to do my best to remove any poop that wasn't part of the mass of flesh and soaked her for a little bit. The bleeding had only happened when I first put her in the water and luckily had stopped long before I dried her off.

Timeframe: This has happened before about 2 months ago and visibly went back to normal (on the outside at least) after treatment with Epsom salt baths. Now it's happening again and I'm treating it in the same way as before but feel like I'm just guessing as to what the issue is.

Other birds are not exhibiting similar symptoms (thankfully).

She has been eating/drinking normally (if not voraciously) throughout her whole life, now included.

Poop looks normal other than that it has sometimes stuck to her feathers around her vent.

Treatments so far: I've done Epsom salt soaks to clean the area. I've reduced amount of time she get's sunlight to less than 10 hours/day until a few weeks ago when I went back to normal daylight cycles. I've used a very small amount of an herbal powder directly on the bleeding part to help stop bleeding/pain/prevent further infection (it's made of mainly Osha Root (ligusticum porterii)) which is something I've used on myself and my animals for my whole life (although never for something quite like this). I've also been giving them a very small amount of oil of oregano in their water for general wellness but this is not specific to this injury or whatever it is.

Intent of treatment: I would love nothing more than for her to get better but I live many hours from any poultry vets and have little money (if any) to pay for their help even if there was one closer than that. For that reason I intend to see if anyone else knows more about what I'm facing here so that I can decide what there is to be done or if she is beyond anything I can do. I still don't really know what this even is, I've thought it could be a prolapse or other reproductive system related issue but I've also worried that it could be a tumor/disease or something more like that.

Where she lives: Since she can't survive the Colorado winters outside with our other chickens and since she is more of a pet than an egg producer she (and her sister) lives indoors in a large watering trough converted into a coop with hemp bedding that is right next to some large windows. She also gets outside into a hawk-proof chicken run/coop (a lightly used Eglu we found on craigslist) most days that are over 40 degrees F and that is where we plan to keep them during the summer.

Anyways, if anyone has any idea what this is or how you'd go about treating it then I would be very grateful to know about it. I'm worried that there won't be anything I can do to help her but will be glad just to know what may have happened. I'm not sure how I can sensor the pictures from unwary eyes or I would but beware they are very graphic and if there is a way to do this please let me know so I can. The pictures aren't very bright/clear but they were the best I could take with the sun going down fast and my helper needed to leave as well as the chicken was getting sick of being held/wet. I will try to reply as soon as I can to anyone here but I'm likely headed to bed soon and it may be later tomorrow before I can check up on this due to it still being during the week.

Thanks for taking the time to help,

- L
Oh dear... that looks nasty...
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@Kiki

Here's a nice picture of these little guys earlier in the day before I noticed this so you can see they look rather normal outwardly. The one closest to the camera is the sick one.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
That looks like a prolapsed necrophied prolapse and possible egg binding in progress. Click on this link and it will tell you what to do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Wow, okay. This gives me some hope now that I see some things I can do for her. The only thing I'm not too comfortable with (only due to not using it before) is the Amoxicillin. I know that antibiotics can be sometimes hard to come by without a vet's prescription but I think I know where I can order some (since I'm not sure if Tractor supply has it over the counter). I hope that the powder is okay to use because I have little experience with injections. I do already have some Tylosin powder but I won't use that unless I hear from someone here that it is an acceptable substitute for Amoxicillin in this situation. I think that for now there doesn't seem to be too many signs of an infection spreading so that's lucky. I'm sure that can change rapidly though. Tonight I'm just going to get started with the calcium citrate and vitamin D and then apply some of the witch hazel and the other sprays and creams.

Here's where I see some Amoxicillin for sale, I've used Jedd's before so I'll probably go with them unless you guys think they'll have something comparable at Tractor Supply. Let me know if you guys know of a better form of it to use as well.

https://jedds.com/products/amoxicillin-10-powder?_pos=2&_sid=a84e267d4&_ss=r

or here

https://allbirdproducts.com/collect...ations/products/amoxicillin-10-powder-generic )

Again, thank you all so much for giving me some clarity and hope. I'll keep everyone updated as much as I can and if you think of anything else I can do or have other advice please let me know. The more input the better.

Last edited:
Since you've used Jedd's before, order this . https://jedds.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&options[unavailable_products]=last&q=amoxicillin+250mg It's pill form and already in the correct dose. Pry open the beak and shove the pill in. She will swallow easily.

Powder form is not easy to get the proper dose into the chicken, and if you try to put it in food or water, it sometimes doesn't all make it into the patient. Give 250mg each day for ten days.

Tylosin is more suitable for respiratory disorders.

Just a small update: I've been doing the treatments daily (Calcium Citrate/Vitamin D, Witch Hazel, antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone, Vetericyn) that you guys recommended while I wait for the internal antibiotics (amoxicillin) to come in the mail. I've also continued the salt water baths if she gets poopy and dirty around the area. There was, however, some rapid decline in her health and behavior. Yesterday she almost died and looked like a pale combed ghost in the morning but I saw that she had been steadily bleeding and I was able to stop that. She was extremely lethargic all day until the evening when she started eating again. This morning, although she still looked somewhat pale, she was more or less back to her normal self and not sitting in one place with her head down. The prolapse is hard as a rock and still there and seems impossible to push back inside but it also seems like some of the dead parts of it have fallen off and made it much smaller. Antibiotics should be here today or tomorrow so I just hope she makes it that long so I can give them a shot. I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much at this point but at least she's made it this far.

Honestly it doesn't really look quite like the other prolapse pictures I've seen on here. It is much darker and harder looking. Also there is a layer of some hard white substance (calcium maybe?) that is crusted to the whole thing. There is a soft red thing at the bottom that was bleeding and looks like it may be healthy-ish tissue but honestly, to me it's hard to imagine that any of this mass is a normal part of a healthy chicken. That's why I thought it may be something like a tumor initially.

Can you get some updated photos of what the prolapse looks like now?

When the dark material falls off, is the tissue underneath healthy looking?

Where is she bleeding from, the tissue hanging out or when the necrotic skin falls off

image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom