Catskill Homesteader Breeding Project

These are looking good. Following.
Thanks! There's been hardly any one that has said anything on here, so I haven't updated here frequently since I have my website, blog & FB pages to keep up with! :D I have a huge stash of 2016 photos that'd I'd love to share, but I'll see if time permits.

Thanks! There's been hardly any one that has said anything on here, so I haven't updated here frequently since I have my website, blog & FB pages to keep up with! :D I have a huge stash of 2016 photos that'd I'd love to share, but I'll see if time permits.

I vaguely remember you starting this thread and had forgotten about it. Ran across it again yesterday and finished reading it today. I love reading about others ventures into chickens.

What is your Facebook page? I have one I started for Naked Necks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I've "seen you" over on the Aloha thread & I've commented there a few times. So, I enjoy following other people's breeding adventures too. Actually, it was Alohas that helped "inspire" me to venture out on my own, since they're used to Arizona weather which wouldn't suit very well for frigid upstate NY! I've tried a few times to get some Aloha chicks, but when it's cool enough there, it's TOO cold here!
I love "colorful" aka "eye candy" chickens - tried the Swedish Flower Hens for a bit, but then decided I preferred working with a wider gene pool. So, there's a "dash" of SFH in my Catskill Homesteaders, and I have an unrelated SFH rooster, that I hope to cross with the unrelated SFHxCH crosses - as I do love the "flowers" - yet for my taste, the amount that's the "goal" of the Alohas is "too white" for me, anyways. LOL

Anyways, here's my Catskill Homesteader facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Catskill.Homesteader.Chickens/

and the one for my hobby farm - that includes the ducks, turkeys, gardening, etc -

https://www.facebook.com/paradiseindisguisehobbyfarm/

Following as well! :)

Thanks for following, and I'll try to update when I can.

Well, I've "seen you" over on the Aloha thread & I've commented there a few times. So, I enjoy following other people's breeding adventures too. Actually, it was Alohas that helped "inspire" me to venture out on my own, since they're used to Arizona weather which wouldn't suit very well for frigid upstate NY! I've tried a few times to get some Aloha chicks, but when it's cool enough there, it's TOO cold here!
I love "colorful" aka "eye candy" chickens - tried the Swedish Flower Hens for a bit, but then decided I preferred working with a wider gene pool. So, there's a "dash" of SFH in my Catskill Homesteaders, and I have an unrelated SFH rooster, that I hope to cross with the unrelated SFHxCH crosses - as I do love the "flowers" - yet for my taste, the amount that's the "goal" of the Alohas is "too white" for me, anyways. LOL

Anyways, here's my Catskill Homesteader facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Catskill.Homesteader.Chickens/ 

and the one for my hobby farm - that includes the ducks, turkeys, gardening, etc -

https://www.facebook.com/paradiseindisguisehobbyfarm/

Thanks for following, and I'll try to update when I can.

I found the page but there is no place to like it or to follow it. I'm Randy Wilson.

Last edited:
Never mind I found it and likes it. So maybe now I can see your post.

It didn't show up on my end. Sometimes I've accidentally hit the "like page" button twice & it likes it, then un-likes. Anyways, thanks for checking out my page.

The other day, I was thinking about what directions to go in 2017. I have many ideas, but just waiting for winter to be not as cold b4 setting up breeding groups etc. A few of the breeding groups I'd like to set up:
1. blue & green egg layers - most likely more than one breeding group;
2. mottling, using SFH crosses
3. barring/cuckoo plus patterns (like Bielefelders, CCL, etc) - but with the goal of small combs (pea, rose, etc)
4.blues/blacks - many of whom also have "pattern" genes
5. crested - using Spitzhauben & SFH
6. "Mini Flowers" - bantam/part large fowl group - 1 group that carries mottling I may cross back to large fowl again - perhaps with the SFH rooster (may do as one group with large fowl hens as bantams laying smaller eggs; 2nd group with blue roo w/ orange leakage & 1 copy of barring gene x black cochin/Silkie hens

A few photos

Back
Top Bottom