Causes of guinea fowl loss of coordination

estomlin

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2018
We have (had) 16 guineas from JM Hatchery. They are 3 months old and have been doing great. They free range all day and in the evening come home to their pen and some dinner. We live on a 24 acre wooded property in North Carolina, and I don't believe they are traveling beyond our woods at this point. A few days ago, one of the males was just standing off by himself kind of staring into space. He wasn't eating and just didn't seem "right". He seemed a little wobbly and let me pick him up without any fuss at all. I isolated him as I was worried about something infectious, and the other guineas tormenting him. The next morning he couldn't stand. He couldn't eat or drink on his own, and couldn't swallow unless we held his beak closed. His poops were normal (although small). If we put him on his back he could push back with his legs, and he could move his wings and flop around, so he wasn't exactly paralyzed but had no coordination of any of his movements. There was no sign of injury that we could see. After two days of him not improving, and steadily losing weight, despite our efforts to force feed him hummingbird food to get some calories and fluid into him, we sadly euthanized him. So far none of the other guineas or chickens (4 months old) are showing any signs of illness. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I am wondering if maybe he had a stroke. If he had something like Marek's disease would we not have seen other sick birds by now? Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome as this is our first experience with these funny and lovable birds, and are not sure if there was anything we could have done to prevent this.

No we didn't think to do that, although it did occur to me that he could have eaten something toxic
one time on my chickens I saw a string sticking out of a beak.... i caught the bird and tried to pull it out.... I pulled a whole string from a bag of feed.... with a bit of compliant.... LOL. So it could be anything. I had guineas too... I usually found one with a string wrapped around a foot.... goof ball. I tried to keep track of them but evey once and a while one would get away from me.

A bit of plastic or plastic back could block the ability to "chew" in their gizzard...

Hope someone else chimes in on this.... There are a couple of very knowledgeable guinea owneres here.

deb

By the way.... Welcome to BYC :welcome from San Diego

one time on my chickens I saw a string sticking out of a beak.... i caught the bird and tried to pull it out.... I pulled a whole string from a bag of feed.... with a bit of compliant.... LOL. So it could be anything. I had guineas too... I usually found one with a string wrapped around a foot.... goof ball. I tried to keep track of them but evey once and a while one would get away from me.

A bit of plastic or plastic back could block the ability to "chew" in their gizzard...

Hope someone else chimes in on this.... There are a couple of very knowledgeable guinea owneres here.

deb

By the way.... Welcome to BYC :welcome from San Diego

Thanks for the great information!

Hello I had 52 guinea they were fine for about 3 weeks inside a coop. I went out and found 3 dead. The next day I had 5 dead and 2 dying. The 2 were lying on their side and could not get up. They would eat and drink when put in front of the food and water but died by the next day. Any ideas before I lose them all

Hello I had 52 guinea they were fine for about 3 weeks inside a coop. I went out and found 3 dead. The next day I had 5 dead and 2 dying. The 2 were lying on their side and could not get up. They would eat and drink when put in front of the food and water but died by the next day. Any ideas before I lose them all
NO clue next one that dies bag him up and send him for a necropsy.... you need to find out whats killing them.

There are a boat load of chriteria you need to consider.,...

Bad feed
poison
Are there any injuries
do you have someone that is using Rodenticide.... in the neigbor hood
Where do you live
What kind of predators do you have
What kind of housing.

I can only share with you my stories about my losses.

My place is in the desert. But I have raccoons, bobcat, coyotes, mountain lions, Weasels, Owls, hawks, and feral dogs. and even desert foxes. Out of all of them domesitcated dogs are the worst. they will chase and kill chase and kill chase and kill but never eat... till the whole flock is dead in the coop or where ever they died.... the rest will be scattered and hiding in the brush. Some will never return because now they are without the safety of numbers.

Weasels will kill by biting the back of the neck but only eat a little bit. And they will kill quite a few.

Raccons will pull off heads or legs through the wire

Rat and mouse poison kills by causing the poultry to bleed to death internally. They say the mouse wont consume enough to bother a chicken but if that chicken eats several mice... who knows.

Necropsy is the only way to find out in order for you to save the others. Most Colleges will do it if they have an agriculutre department.

Sorry I couldnt help directly but this is the case where you need to find out from a vet or someone that can do tests.
deb

Back
Top Bottom