cayuga duck thread

Pics
How long do you think it will be before they realize that, with a strong head wind and a lot of effort, they can "fly" to the bigger pool next door?

Hopefully never. But if they figure it out I will clip their wings ASAP! But I don't think that will happen. The people pool is in between 3 large buildings which should keep wind help to a minimum.

Probably not to worry. Mine can only make it about two feet off the ground for 10 or 12 feet with a really strong head wind. Even my chickens are better flyers and they are a joke at the attempt.

Yeah, the ducks and geese don't get very high, with the exception of my crested mallard, Ebony. She is so small and light weight she can get up 3 feet and go a good distance. However, she just won't leave her sister ducks. She only takes off if something scares her, she won't even try to fly when we are around or handling her. So I haven't found it needful to clip her wings since she only uses them when she might be in danger.

My chickens are excellent fliers though, they are just no starting to reach point of lay so they haven't filled out yet. Once they get that fat, mature hen body they won't be going anywhere, lol. I will always clip my chickens though, my neighbor has a very mean game rooster that would love to have some of my girls join his flock, and this rooster has killed other roosters before. So to keep my ladies home and my 2 roosters safe, clipped wings. The fence is only 3 feet between my neighbor and I, and since we watch out for each other we don't mind the low fence, easier to jump if a dog or other predator goes for chickens in the other yard. We gave each other permission to shoot across the fence line to protect the chickens in case of attack, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

How well I know. My chickens, ducks and geese are all so fat they can not defy gravity...thank God. The geese are however working on getting enough lift in a good wind to go over the fence (5 feet) between them and their old free range. For some reason they just don't want to go out in the new (and much greener) range.

How well I know. My chickens, ducks and geese are all so fat they can not defy gravity...thank God. The geese are however working on getting enough lift in a good wind to go over the fence (5 feet) between them and their old free range. For some reason they just don't want to go out in the new (and much greener) range.

I have noticed that my Chinese geese are getting decent lift, the Africans don't yet, lol.I am keeping a close eye on them. If I see one get more than 2 feet off the ground, I will clip their wings. If my birds escape my yard they will become either dog food because of the strays around here, or road kill if they go towards the highway instead. To protect them I will do what I must. I simply adore my geese, they are such characters!

Last edited:
Just wanted to share pics of all our duckies!! They range from 2 months to 1 1/2 months...

We are thinking we need at least one more female! We are pretty sure we have 3 drakes and 4 ducks & we don't want our drakes to over breed our females.

Here is our quacking Cayuga Violet, our other Cayuga hasn't started quacking!

Back
Top Bottom