Cayuga Egg Color Question

katlovesaandw

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Oregon
Ok, we have 3 Muscovies and 1 Cayuga.
George the Cayuga shows ALL signs of being a boy....curly tail, etc. despite that we sexed him a girl at 2 weeks old but has spent a lot of time in the house observing the 3 Muscovies and All the chickens nesting and laying eggs.
He/She is almost 5 months old.

Saturday night when they went to bed and were locked up in house for the night, no eggs in the house. I checked before I locked them up.
Sunday after I let everyone out into pen and see that 2 of the Muscovies are in house and laying, I leave them to come back about an hour later and find.... 4 duck eggs:/
Ummmm, we have 3 laying Muscovies and George.
They all looked like Muscovy eggs.... 1 ecru colored for my daily layer and 3 more algae coated green for my other 2 sporadic layers.

Now, I have been checking images online for Cayuga eggs and they are to be dark green or black at the start.
Any chance that a 1st time Cayuga egg could look more like a Muscovy egg?

Just trying to figure out how we have 4 eggs from 3 ducks unless George is indeed a girl...despite curly tail and laid an egg that is not the norm for a Cayuga?
This is our first year having Ducks, in case you did not know that........

He is probably a boy. Sometimes ducks will lay two eggs in a day, I'm betting that's what is going on. That or one of the eggs was buried in the bedding and they resurfaced it when they were making their nest to lay in.

cauyuga duck eggs are black with some polka dots some are grey and some are close to white it depends on how old your cayuga is because as the ducks get older the eggs get whiter and whiter so it is a possibility
big_smile.png
hope that helped
smile.png

15,chickens, 2 mallard ducks, 2 White pekin ducks, 1 Black Swedish duck, 2 chow dogs, 1 Teacup chihauhau
big_smile.png

I had 2 Cayuga left and did not know if the boy was missing or was found after a storm incident. Eventually we started getting two eggs a day. At first I was sure he was a boy since he was the only one with a tag and I had bought a trio. After a few searches I found that hens can lay two eggs a day, but only sporadically. After a while we were getting 2 eggs everyday. So if you get 4 eggs everyday then you know he's a she. If it happens more rarely then you can start buying blue!

Our eggs were like a marbled grey color. And we got them when they were just starting to lay.
Hope that helps.

My Cayugas lay a light grey egg....they were a slight bit darker in the beginning of spring but now they are a light grey...hope that helps...

My Cayugas lay green eggs. One is a minty green. The other lays a green egg mottled with black/gray specks. I have also had a duck lay 2 eggs a day before. Sorry if this confuses the sitation more!

Ok..... I am more confused now.LOL

We have had the Muscovies since Feb. and they have been laying since a week after we got them. Never have we had a 4 egg day with 3 ducks in all that time.... until the other day.

George is 95% male.... we are pretty sure. I posted about him on here and while he could be a slight chance of a bearded lady!LOL He is probably a boy.... BUT we did get 4 eggs and someone said theirs were light beige and someone said minty green since the start. Hmmmmmm

All 4 looked like Muscovy eggs but he/she could be a freak duck that looks like a dude but really is a chick!LOL And maybe lay eggs like his/her Muscovy sisters......?!

Who knows!

Thanks for the assistance everyone! You guys rock!

Quote:
LOL! I think I'm the one that called George a bearded lady.
But if all the eggs look the same, I'd say they're all from the Muscovies. I would think your lone Cayuga would have at least a slightly different egg in size or color.

That is what I thought.....

We may have a new home for George. We do not want a male, do not want fertilized eggs, etc. and I found someone locally looking for a male for her 2 females. Hubby says to keep him until he starts bugging the girls. I am undecided at this point, because he is my baby but he is a drake and we do not want to deal with that. Though, the lady wants to hatch out batch.... so maybe next Spring I could have a female duckling from George..... something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom