Cayuga, welsh harquins, or blue Swedish?

I want eggs. I also saw black Swedish and they're huge. Just a different color. So u think I should get Cayuga, khaki, and welsh?

Do you want eggs, or to hatch more babies? If you want to hatch more babies, get a drake. If not, just get ducks. I don't think it would matter which one you got as a drake, except the Swedish are really big. Also, 1 drake to 2 ducks can possibly lead to overmating, depending on your drake.

I'm partial to Cayuga, myself, but mostly because my favorite duck is a Cayuga. Blue Swedish are BIG ducks, like almost Pekin big, so you might want to take that into consideration. My Cayuga, Welsh Harlequin, and Khaki Campbell are roughly the same size so far (and from what I've read, they'll be about the same size when they grow up). My Swedish is HUGE compared to them.

I couldn't decide either, so I got one of each.

Also should I get a drake with only 2 hens?! If so, what Drake should I get out of those breeds
1f601.png
I wouldnt. If you want a drake I would see about getting 4, 3 females and 1 male. Sometimes it works with 2 females but you need a back up plan just in case.

I also have a mixed flack and love everyone. Get what birds you want :) what birds are you the most interested in? Have you seen this http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=3890491

I want eggs. I also saw black Swedish and they're huge. Just a different color. So u think I should get Cayuga, khaki, and welsh?

You can't go wrong with that batch. I have the same mix (plus a Blue Swedish) and they're all great ducks. The Cayuga is a feisty little thing, with tons of personality. The Welsh Harlequin is really calm and sweet, and she's smaller than the others (but catching up). The Khaki Campbell is a bit flighty, but she calms down pretty well when you pick her up. My Swedish just doesn't like being picked up or touched at all.

Mind you, this is a sample size of ONE duck per breed, at two weeks old, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I don't need a drake. Probably won't get one. I was just wondering. I am most interested in khaki campbells, black swedes, and welsh harquins... I also like how Cayugas look but I can only get three... Which three should I get?
I wouldnt. If you want a drake I would see about getting 4, 3 females and 1 male. Sometimes it works with 2 females but you need a back up plan just in case.

I also have a mixed flack and love everyone. Get what birds you want :) what birds are you the most interested in? Have you seen this http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=3890491

Or maybe I should get rid of the welsh and get Cayuga, khaki, and black swede...??

I don't need a drake. Probably won't get one. I was just wondering. I am most interested in khaki campbells, black swedes, and welsh harquins... I also like how Cayugas look but I can only get three... Which three should I get?
Get those then. When the time comes that you can add more you can always get a Cayuga. I'm waiting for the time when I can add a magpie since I'm at my limit now.

Won't the black swede bully the khaki and welsh because they're smaller?!

Oh okay... Well thank you all very much!!! I was really having a hard time on what to pick!
263a.png
263a.png

She shouldn't, especially if raised together. The biggest concern with size difference is when mating and that when you don't want a very large male.

X2

I had no intention for you to dismiss the Pekin either. Mine is huge and she gets along great with the other ducks. If you have the option (like Metzer) to have them all sexed, I wouldn't get any drakes unless it is your intention to breed (then you probably don't want such a mixed flock). If I had to pick the friendliest from my flock from those options it would be hard. My Pekin is the most conversational, my Welsh Harlequin is the most cuddly (if you can call a duck cuddly) and my Cayuga and my two Swedish are the most likely to nibble my feet/shoelaces. (I don't have a Khaki Campbell) This shouldn't be a stressful decision. You should just find out who you like. When we picked ours, I admit we didn't have a clue. So here was our criteria: Shipping worked out better at 10 and that was about what we thought we could handle based on house size and yard size. So we went through and picked the ones we thought were prettiest. We came up with 11 and figured it would be silly to spend a bunch of time figuring out which one we didn't want, so we ordered the 11. This was the most uninformed silly way to pick a flock. We LOVE our flock. It is perfect! For pets and eggs I recommend a mixed flock because you can readily identify each bird right from the start. And their personalities are very individual. No matter what you do if you get all girls I think you will be fine.

-------

Relax and (plug, plug) read my baby book in the signature...
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom