Cayuga, welsh harquins, or blue Swedish?

Jdc361

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2015
i am struggling on between what breed to get out of these 3
1f601.png
Cayuga, welsh, or swedes and why?!

Ok... So I am going to get three ducks. A pekin, a khaki Campbell and I'm struggling on the third. I want one of those three but I'm not sure which one. I want them for eggs and pets. Can any of those breeds fly?

Breathe

:hugs

They are all beautiful, all have wonderful qualities.

Could you write a little more about how you are stuck and what you would like?

Have you seen these charts? The second one lists flying ability.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

I know people do have mixed flocks that include Khaki Campbells and Pekins, and here is something I would be concerned about, though much less concerned if you are getting all females - size difference.

Probably they will be fine, but a Pekin is much larger than a KC. So if they were getting cranky with each other (probably won't if they are raised together), the Pekin will have quite the size advantage.

Just something to think about. And if you were getting a drake, I would definitely go with a small breed.

-------

Now, I realize you probably want to check in with @gentila , who has a flock of mixed sizes, including, I think, all the breeds you are considering.

Last edited:
Have you seen these charts? The second one lists flying ability.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

I know people do have mixed flocks that include Khaki Campbells and Pekins, and here is something I would be concerned about, though much less concerned if you are getting all females - size difference.

Probably they will be fine, but a Pekin is much larger than a KC. So if they were getting cranky with each other (probably won't if they are raised together), the Pekin will have quite the size advantage.

Just something to think about. And if you were getting a drake, I would definitely go with a small breed.

-------

Now, I realize you probably want to check in with gentila, who has a flock of mixed sizes, including, I think, all the breeds you are considering.

x2 And you just spoke of the devil (HA!) My lead drake is CRAZY right now. If he were the Pekin, I probably wouldn't have a flock any more. Most of my flock weighs in around 5 lbs or so. My Pekin girl is 11 lbs and she is a sweet heart. If she were a crazy drake I would be constantly treating injuries.

Now I am not saying all Pekin Drakes are crazy... My White Crested Drake is my second largest bird and he wouldn't hurt anybody, but he is also not the lead drake. But it is a chance I wouldn't take if I was planning my flock from the beginning.

Welsh Harlequins are descended from Khaki Campbells and have some similarities so if you are looking for maximum variety, I would get one of the other, then pick the Cayuga or the Swedish for the third duck. My black Swedish's black portion is every bit as pretty as my Cayuga and right now all of them are pretty darn good egg layers (but they are young... I guess the real test will be next year and beyond), so I would just look at the Metzer chart for capacity. All of my ducks (Yes even my Pekin) can get about 2 - 3ft off the ground for 6 - 10 ft of flight (that is the best). None of them will fly away.

All the breeds are great and since I only have one of each (except for my Rouens), I don't really have a clue of breed traits, but I would think all of them could make good pet/egg ducks in a loving environment. Most of their eggs would be the equivalent of 1-1/2 chicken eggs and the Pekins will be the equivalent of 2.

Last edited:
So then should I drop the Pekin?! Just get the khaki Campbell, welsh harquins, and Cayuga?! Or should I get the swede instead of the Cayuga?!!! HELP ME!!!!! I'm so confused
1f62d.png
1f629.png
or should I get rid of a different breed for the swede? Or should I stay with khaki Campbell, welsh harquins, and Cayuga?!!!!

Also should I get a drake with only 2 hens?! If so, what Drake should I get out of those breeds
1f601.png

Do you want eggs, or to hatch more babies? If you want to hatch more babies, get a drake. If not, just get ducks. I don't think it would matter which one you got as a drake, except the Swedish are really big. Also, 1 drake to 2 ducks can possibly lead to overmating, depending on your drake.

I'm partial to Cayuga, myself, but mostly because my favorite duck is a Cayuga. Blue Swedish are BIG ducks, like almost Pekin big, so you might want to take that into consideration. My Cayuga, Welsh Harlequin, and Khaki Campbell are roughly the same size so far (and from what I've read, they'll be about the same size when they grow up). My Swedish is HUGE compared to them.

I couldn't decide either, so I got one of each.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom